So neural pathways grow with use and they shrink when there is no use.
使用时神经通道得到扩展不使用时就会萎缩
If it's something new, a new neural pathway that was just created because remember — there's neuroplasticity.
如果一条新的神经通道刚刚生成——因为神经是有可塑性的
Neural pathways are created constantly. There is neurogenesis.
神经通道不断生成,因为有神经形成
New neutrones are created constantly. Initially it's very thin.
新的神经元不断生成,开始时很薄
Let's say for example, I study French. And I learn a new word.
举个例子,我学法语,学了一个新词
A new connection is made in my brain.
我的大脑里形成新的联系
Now if I hear the word once and never again, the neural pathway will disintegrate, will disappear.
如果我只听了这个词一次,神经通道会分裂,会消失
However, if I continue hearing that word over and over and over again, after all it will become thicker and thicker.
如果我不断重复听到那个词,最后通道会变得越来越厚
Ok this is a way over simplification of the real process. But it will become thicker.
我说的比实际过程简化得多。但它会变得更厚
And then I'll remember it for the rest of my life.
我就会一生记得这个词
It will be established like a river that is established, as opposed to a tiny stream and trickle that can disappear in a day.
就像形成了一条新的河流,不再是涓涓流淌的小溪,可能在某一天消失
And here is the key aspect for understanding how we can change our thought, how we can change our wellbeing ultimately.
这是我们理解改变思维的关键方面,并最终提升我们的幸福感
The neural pathways are self-reinforcing, just like rivers are.
神经通道会自我巩固的,像河流一样
Think about it: when it rains, when there is a down pour, the water gravitates toward the existing river, toward the channels, toward the drains that we have built.
想一想,下雨时,下倾盆大雨时,水流向已有的河流,流向渠道,流向我们建好的沟渠
It's much less likely to create a new river or a new stream with there's nothing before.
如果之前什么都没有,那么形成一条河流或小溪会更难