Until 1998, neuro scientists thought that the brain was essentially fixed.
直到1998年,神经科学家认为大脑是不变的
We are born with certain neurones, certain pathways.
我们生来具有一定的神经元,一定的通道
The brain doesn't grow, dosen't change pass the age of, say three
大脑在三岁之后不会生长,不会改变
Maybe first a few experiences the brain still changes and evolves, But after the age of three, no change.
开始时大脑可能会改变发展,但三岁之后,不会再改变
And this theory which was held until 1998, I mean that's not so long ago,
这个理论直到1998年仍站得住脚,也就是在不久以前
this theory gave credence, and actually proved positive for "happiness is a stochastic phenomenon". You are born with certain genes.
这个理论让人相信并实际证明了"快乐是随机现象"的正确。你生来具有一个的基因
You are born with certain inclinations with certain neurone pathways.
生来具有一个的倾向具有一定的神经元通道
You have a few experiences that really affect you a great deal, as Freud argued.
有一些经历对你产生深刻影响,正如弗洛伊德的论点
And then the rest of your life, you are going to just fluctuate around that same level.
而剩下的人生就是围绕那个水平波动
No change. That was until 1998. In 1998, scientists started to notice that the brain actually does change.
不会改变,直到1998年,科学家开始发现大脑其实是改变的
And they came up with the concept of neuroplasticity.
并得出神经可塑性的概念
Neuroplasticity are nuerones are plastic — they change.
神经可塑性是指神经元有可塑性,它们会改变
Not only that, not only do the pathways change in the brain — and we'll look at it in a minute,
不仅如此,不只大脑的通道会改变,一会我们就会看到
but also they've come up with another concept, which is neurogenesis.
他们还得出另一个概念,即神经形成
Neurones develop, are created throughout our lives until the day we die potentially
神经元是发展的,在人的一生中不断生成,直到我们死去
So it's not the fact that we are born with certain number of neurones and it's downhill from there,
因此,事实并不是我们生来具有一定的神经元,然后就一直走下坡