Two: Do you remember your President Nixon?
2.还记得尼克松总统吗?
By the time I recall getting interested in politics, I was a junior high school kid, and the Watergate scandal was in full bloom.
我开始对政治感兴趣是在上高中的时候,当时水门事件正愈演愈烈。
From the comments of Republicans and Democrats alike, it was obviously time for Richard Milhous Nixon to resign or be impeached.
从共和党和民主党的言论来看,显然理查德·米尔豪斯·尼克松必须要么辞职,要么被弹劾。
It was clear to me that Nixon was, despite his protests, a crook.
对于我来说,不管尼克松怎么辩解,他显然是个骗子。
It was clear to me then that he was the worst president ever.
我觉得我觉得他是有史以来最差的总统。
Thirty years later, I've come to believe that Nixon eroded considerably the presidency's prestige. He sure did.
30年后,我开始意识到尼克松严重损害了总统的威信。确实是这样。
But I have also come to realize that Nixon's foreign policy, aside from the quote-unquote "Vietnamization" of the Vietnam War, made a lot of sense.
但我也意识到他的外交政策,除了越南战争中的“战争越南化”外,很多都很有道理。
It's amazing what you can learn as you grow older and examine things critically.
你成长之后,重新批判性地看事物时会令人惊讶地学到很多新东西。
Nixon's decision to establish relations with Red China was an important step toward ending the Cold War.
尼克松与红色中国建立外交关系是结束冷战的重要一步。
The Chinese were grateful for being recognized as a world power.
中国人很高兴能够被看成是世界主要力量之一。
The Soviets were frightened by China's enhanced status.
苏联很害怕中国地位的提升。