But what is so headstrong as youth? What so blind as inexperience?
但是,有什么比青春更任性吗?有什么比幼稚更盲目呢?
These affirmed that it was pleasure enough to have the privilege of again looking on Mr. Rochester, whether he looked on me or not;
青春与幼稚认定,有幸能再次见到罗切斯特先生是够令人愉快的,不管他见不见我;
and they added -- "Hasten! hasten! be with him while you may:
并且补充说:“快些!快些!在还能做到的时候跟他在一起,
but a few more days or weeks, at most, and you are parted from him for ever!"
只要再过几天,至多几星期,你就与他永别了!”
And then I strangled a new-born agony -- a deformed thing which I could not persuade myself to own and rear -- and ran on.
随后我抑制住了新的痛苦--我无法说服自己承认和培育的畸形儿--并继续赶路了。
They are making hay, too, in Thornfield meadows:
在桑菲尔德的草地上,他们也在晒制干草呢,
or rather, the labourers are just quitting their work,
或者更确切些,农夫们正好下工,
and returning home with their rakes on their shoulders, now, at the hour I arrive.
肩上扛着草耙回家去,在我到达的时刻。
I have but a field or two to traverse, and then I shall cross the road and reach the gates.
我只要再走过一两块草地,就可以穿过大路,到达门口了。
How full the hedges are of roses!
篱笆上长了那么多蔷薇花!
But I have no time to gather any; I want to be at the house.
但我已顾不上去采摘,巴不得立即赶到府上。
I passed a tall briar, shooting leafy and flowery branches across the path; I see the narrow stile with stone steps;
我经过一棵高大的蔷薇,叶茂花盛的枝桠横穿过小径;我看到了窄小的石头台阶;
and I see -- Mr. Rochester sitting there, a book and a pencil in his hand; he is writing.
我还看到--罗切斯特先生坐在那里,手中拿着一本书和一支铅笔,他在写着。