I that evening shut my eyes resolutely against the future:
那天晚上,我紧闭双眼,无视将来:
I stopped my cars against the voice that kept warning me of near separation and coming grief.
我塞住耳朵,不去听“离别在即,忧伤将临”的频频警告。
When tea was over and Mrs. Fairfax had taken her knitting,
茶点过后,费尔法克斯太太开始了编织,
and I had assumed a low seat near her, and Adèle, kneeling on the carpet, had nestled close up to me,
我在她旁边找了个低矮的座位,阿黛勒跪在地毯上,紧偎着我,
and a sense of mutual affection seemed to surround us with a ring of golden peace,
亲密无间的气氛,像一个宁静的金色圆圈围着我们,
I uttered a silent prayer that we might not be parted far or soon;
我默默地祈祷着,愿我们彼此不要分离得太远,也不要太早,
but when, as we thus sat, Mr. Rochester entered, unannounced, and looking at us,
但是,当我们如此坐着,罗切斯特先生不宣而至,打量着我们,
seemed to take pleasure in the spectacle of a group so amicable
似乎对一伙人如此融洽的景象感到愉快时
when he said he supposed the old lady was all right now that she had got her adopted daughter back again,
当他说,既然老太太又弄回自己的养女,想必她已安心,
and added that he saw Adèle was "prête à croquer sa petite maman Anglaise"
并补充说他看到阿黛勒是“prête à croquer sa petite maman Anglaise”时
I half ventured to hope that he would, even after his marriage,
我近乎冒险地希望,即使在结婚以后,
keep us together somewhere under the shelter of his protection, and not quite exiled from the sunshine of his presence.
他也会把我们一起安置在某个地方,得到他的庇护,而不是远离他所辐射出的阳光。