"Here we are!" said Holmes cheerily as we filed into the room.
"我们到家了!"我们鱼贯走进屋子时,福尔摩斯愉快地说道。
"The fire looks very seasonable in this weather.
"在这种天气里这熊熊炉火是很令人惬意的。
You look cold, Mr. Ryder. Pray take the basket-chair.
你似乎很冷,赖德先生。请你坐在这把藤椅上吧。
I will just put on my slippers before we settle this little matter of yours.
在解决你这件小事之前,让我先换上拖鞋。
Now, then! You want to know what became of those geese?" "Yes, sir."
噢,现在好了,你是想知道那些鹅的情况吧?""是的,先生。"
"Or rather, I fancy, of that goose.
"我想,或者更确切地说,你想知道的是那只鹅的情况吧。
It was one bird, I imagine, in which you were interested–white, with a black bar across the tail."
我设想你最感兴趣的是一只白色的、尾巴上有一道黑的鹅。"
Ryder quivered with emotion. "Oh, sir," he cried, "can you tell me where it went to?"
赖德激动得颤抖了一下。"啊,先生!"他喊道,"您能告诉我这只鹅的下落吗?"
"It came here." "Here?"
"它到我这里来过了。""这里?"
"Yes, and a most remarkable bird it proved. I don't wonder that you should take an interest in it.
"是的,它确实是一只最奇异不过的鹅。我并不奇怪你为什么对这只鹅那么感兴趣。
It laid an egg after it was dead -- the bonniest, brightest little blue egg that ever was seen. I have it here in my museum."
这只鹅死后下了一个蛋--世界上罕见的、最美丽、最明亮的蓝色小蛋。我已经把它珍藏在我这儿的博物馆里了。"
Our visitor staggered to his feet and clutched the mantelpiece with his right hand.
我们的客人摇摇晃晃地站了起来,右手抓住了壁炉架。
Holmes unlocked his strong-box and held up the blue carbuncle,
福尔摩斯打开他的保险箱,高举那颗蓝宝石
which shone out like a star, with a cold, brilliant, many-pointed radiance.
,那宝石光芒四射,象一颗灿烂的寒星。
Ryder stood glaring with a drawn face, uncertain whether to claim or to disown it.
赖德拉长了脸,直瞪瞪地注视着宝石,不知道是认领好还是否认好。