I was silent: I thought he mocked me.
我没有吭声,心里想他在讥笑我。
"Come, Jane -- come hither."
“过来,简--到这边来。”
"Your bride stands between us."
“你的新娘阻挡着我们。”
He rose, and with a stride reached me.
他站了起来,一个箭步到了我跟前。
"My bride is here," he said, again drawing me to him, "because my equal is here, and my likeness.
“我的新娘在这儿,”他说着,再次把我往身边拉,“因为与我相配的人在这儿,与我相像的人。
Jane, will you marry me?"
简,你愿意嫁给我吗?”
Still I did not answer, and still I writhed myself from his grasp: for I was still incredulous.
我仍然没有回答,仍然要挣脱他,因为我仍然不相信。
"Do you doubt me, Jane?" "Entirely."
“你怀疑我吗,简?”“绝对怀疑。”
"You have no faith in me?" "Not a whit."
“你不相信我?” “一点也不信。”
"Am I a liar in your eyes?" he asked passionately.
“你看我是个爱说谎的人吗?”他激动地问。
"Little sceptic, you shall be convinced.
“疑神疑鬼的小东西,我一定要使你信服。
What love have I for Miss Ingram? None: and that you know.
我同英格拉姆小姐有什么爱可言?没有,那你是知道的。
What love has she for me? None: as I have taken pains to prove:
她对我有什么爱?没有,我已经想方设法来证实。
I caused a rumour to reach her that my fortune was not a third of what was supposed,
我放出了谣言,传到她耳朵里,说是我的财产还不到想象中的三分之一,
and after that I presented myself to see the result;
然后我现身说法,亲自去看结果,
it was coldness both from her and her mother.
她和她母亲对我都非常冷淡。
I would not -- I could not -- marry Miss Ingram.
我不愿意--也不可能--娶英格拉姆小姐。
You -- you strange, you almost unearthly thing!
你--你这古怪的--你这近乎是精灵的家伙!
I love as my own flesh. You -- poor and obscure,
我像爱我自己的肉体一样爱你。你--虽然一贫如洗、默默无闻、
and small and plain as you are -- I entreat to accept me as a husband."
个子瘦小、相貌平庸--我请求你把我当作你的丈夫。”