"What, me!" I ejaculated, beginning in his earnestness -- and especially in his incivility
“什么,我!”我猛地叫出声来。出于他的认真,尤其是粗一鲁的言行,
to credit his sincerity: "me who have not a friend in the world but you
我开始相信他的诚意了:“我,我这个人除了你,世上没有一个朋友,
if you are my friend: not a shilling but what you have given me?"
如果你是我朋友的话:除了你给我的钱,一个子儿也没有。”
"You, Jane, I must have you for my own -- entirely my own. Will you be mine? Say yes, quickly."
“就是你,简。我得让你属于我--完全属于我。你肯吗?快说‘好’呀。”
"Mr. Rochester, let me look at your face: turn to the moonlight." "Why?"
“罗切斯特先生,让我瞧瞧你的脸。转到朝月光的一边去。”“为什么?”
"Because I want to read your countenance -- turn!"
“因为我要细看你的面容,转呀!”
"There! you will find it scarcely more legible than a crumpled, scratched page.
“那儿,你能看到的无非是撕皱了的一页。
Read on: only make haste, for I suffer."
往下看吧,只不过快些,因为我很不好受。”
His face was very much agitated and very much flushed,
他的脸焦急不安,涨得通红,
and there were strong workings in the features, and strange gleams in the eyes
五官在激烈抽动,眼睛射出奇怪的光芒。
"Oh, Jane, you torture me!" he exclaimed. "With that searching and yet faithful and generous look, you torture me!"
“呵,简,你在折磨我!”他大嚷道。“你用那种犀利而慷慨可信的目光瞧着我,你在折磨我!”
"How can I do that? If you are true, and your offer real,
“我怎么会呢?如果你是真的,你的提议也是真的,
my only feelings to you must be gratitude and devotion -- they cannot torture."
那么我对你的感情只会是感激和忠心--那就不可能是折磨。”
"Gratitude!" he ejaculated; and added wildly
“感激!”他脱口喊道,并且狂乱地补充道,
"Jane accept me quickly. Say, Edward -- give me my name -- Edward -- I will marry you."
“简,快接受我吧。说,爱德华--叫我的名字--爱德华,我愿意嫁你。”