68 kilometers of steep and uneven terrain, hiking through the night from rim-to-rim and back, finishing in just over 24 hours.
在夜间徒步穿越68公里陡峭不平的山路,从一边到另一边然后返回,用时24小时多一点。
Sometimes in periods of, the last couple of years, I've been on this desperate purpose of grasping as much independence as possible.
过去几年间,我疯狂地追求独立,尽可能多地实现它。
And so for me, you know being able to walk in the Grand Canyon like that, that's freedom.
对于我而言,能够在大峡谷行走,这就意味着自由。
Cheshire who lost her sight after an accident nine years ago competed in cycling in the Paralympics in Rio in 2016
九年前的一次意外让柴希尔失明,2016年她参加了里约残奥会的自行车比赛,
and hopes to compete in Tokyo in 2020.
并希望参加2020年的东京奥运会。
She's training toward that goal. In the meantime she was determined to finish this challenging hike.
她正在为这个目标而努力,同时她决心完成这次极具挑战的远足。
I had a huge ball of emotion welled up in my chest,
我的胸腔充满了激情,
like I cannot believe we just did that and just gratitude, just felt very humbled and very grateful.
我不敢相信我们做到了,感恩,我很感激,很谦逊。
Three friends helped her complete the trek serving as guides and warning of obstacles.
三名朋友帮助她完成了远足,他们是向导,警告她路障。
It appears that she broke a Grand Canyon record for a blind hiker.
显然她打破了大峡谷盲人登山的记录。
We literally smashed it, including going up the north rim and down the north rim, the entire thing.
我们打破了这一纪录,包括登上北缘,然后从南缘下去,这个过程。
Every trail that we were on, I've never actually gone that fast on.
我们走的每一条路线,我还没有走过这么快过。
It was an exercise in teamwork.
这是一次锻炼团队的机会。
I've learned a lot about myself. I learned a lot more about the canyon.
我自己也学习了不少东西,我了解了更多关于大峡谷的知识。
For Cheshire, it was a another accomplishment on the road to many others.
对于柴希尔而言,在追求其它事情的道路上,此次登山又是一次壮举。
Mike O'Sullivan,VOA news, LOS ANGELES
VOA新闻,麦克·奥沙利文洛杉矶报道。