At the end of 2001, an international team of scientists gathered near Chicxulub.
2001年底,一支国际科研小组来到希克苏鲁伯附近。
They used an oil rig to drill down over a kilometre into the heart of the crater.
他们利用石油钻探机钻入1公里深处的陨石坑中心。
They extracted hundreds of metres of rock cores,
他们采集了数百米深的岩芯,
most of the rock had been pulverised by the Chicxulub impact, but one section was undamaged.
大部分岩石都因为希克苏鲁伯大碰撞而变得粉碎,但是有一个截面却没有遭到破坏。
It lay above the broken rock, so it must have been created after the impact, and just underneath the Iridium layer,
它位于破碎岩石之上,因此它肯定是在碰撞之后形成的,而且刚好是在铱元素层下方,
so the question was how long had this section taken to form?
现在的问题是,这个岩层花了多长时间形成?
If the mysterious rock had been formed slowly, it would support Keller and Wolfgang Stinnesbeck.
如果这些神秘的岩石形成缓慢,那也就证明了Keller和Wolfgang Stinnesbeck的理论。
What we can see here is the impact sediment which is all smashed off the rocks,
我们在这儿看到的是碰撞沉积岩,都是破碎不堪的岩石,
we see bigger pieces and smaller pieces here, but then we find something completely different.
有大块的,也有小块的,但是后来我们发现了一些很不一样的东西。
See this grey rock, this is a limestone, and when I looked at the limestone with my head lens
例如这块灰色岩石,这是石灰岩,我用放大镜观察这块石灰岩时,
I noticed that the grains which are forming the limestone are very fine,
发现形成这些石灰岩的颗粒非常细小,
so that would show to me that this sediment has been deposited under rather quiet conditions.
因此在我看来,这些沉积岩肯定是在非常平静的条件下沉积形成的。