"When Dr. Roylott was in India he married my mother,
罗伊洛特医生在印度时娶了我的母亲,
Mrs. Stoner, the young widow of Major-General Stoner, of the Bengal Artillery.
她当时是孟加拉炮兵司令斯托纳少将的年轻遗孀,斯托纳太太。
My sister Julia and I were twins, and we were only two years old at the time of my mother's re-marriage.
我和我的姐姐朱莉娅是孪生姐妹,我母亲再婚的时候,我们年仅两岁。
She had a considerable sum of money -- not less than 1000 pounds a year
她有一笔相当可观的财产,每年的进项不少于一千英镑,
and this she bequeathed to Dr. Roylott entirely while we resided with him,
我们和罗伊洛特医生住在一起时,她就立下遗嘱把财产全部遗赠给他,
with a provision that a certain annual sum should be allowed to each of us in the event of our marriage.
但附有一个条件,那就是在我们结婚后,每年要拨给我们一定数目的金钱。
Shortly after our return to England my mother died
我们返回英伦不久,我们的母亲就去世了,
she was killed eight years ago in a railway accident near Crewe.
她是八年前在克鲁附近一次火车事故中丧生的。
Dr. Roylott then abandoned his attempts to establish himself in practice in London
在这之后,罗伊洛特医生放弃了重新在伦敦开业的意图,
and took us to live with him in the old ancestral house at Stoke Moran.
带我们一起到斯托克莫兰祖先留下的古老邸宅里过活。
The money which my mother had left was enough for all our wants, and there seemed to be no obstacle to our happiness.
我母亲遗留的钱足够应付我们的一切需要,看来我们的幸福似乎是毫无问题的了。