"You can imagine from what I say that my poor sister Julia and I had no great pleasure in our lives.
"通过我说的这些情况,你们不难想象我和可怜的姐姐朱莉娅是没有什么生活乐趣的。
No servant would stay with us, and for a long time we did all the work of the house.
没有外人会愿意跟我们长期相处,在很长一个时期里,我们操持所有的家务。
She was but thirty at the time of her death, and yet her hair had already begun to whiten, even as mine has."
我姐姐死的时候,才仅仅三十岁。可是她早已两鬓斑白了,甚至和我现在的头发一样白。"
"Your sister is dead, then?"
"那么,你姐姐已经死了?"
"She died just two years ago, and it is of her death that I wish to speak to you.
"她刚好是两年前死的,我想对你说的正是有关她去世的事。
You can understand that, living the life which I have described,
你可以理解,过着我刚才所叙述的那种生活,
we were little likely to see anyone of our own age and position.
我们几乎见不到任何和我年龄相仿和地位相同的人。
We had, however, an aunt, my mother's maiden sister, Miss Honoria Westphail, who lives near Harrow,
不过,我们有一个姨妈,叫霍洛拉·韦斯法尔小姐,她是我母亲的老处女姐妹,住在哈罗附近,
and we were occasionally allowed to pay short visits at this lady's house.
我们偶尔得到允许,到她家去短期作客。
Julia went there at Christmas two years ago, and met there a half-pay major of marines, to whom she became engaged.
两年前,朱莉娅在圣诞节到她家去,在那里认识了一位领半薪的海军陆战队少校,并和他缔结了婚约。
My stepfather learned of the engagement when my sister returned and offered no objection to the marriage;
我姐姐归来后,我继父闻知这一婚约,并未对此表示反对,
but within a fortnight of the day which had been fixed for the wedding,
但是,在预定举行婚礼之前不到两周的时候,
the terrible event occurred which has deprived me of my only companion."
可怕的事情发生了,从而夺去了我唯一的伴侣。"