"And what will you do, Janet, while I am bargaining for so many tons of flesh and such an assortment of black eyes?"
“珍妮特,我在为无数吨肉和各类黑色眼睛讨价还价时,你会干什么呢?”
"I'll be preparing myself to go out as a missionary to preach liberty to them that are enslaved
“我会收拾行装,出去当个传教士,向那些被奴役的人,
your harem inmates amongst the rest.
你的三宫六院们,宣扬自由。
I'll get admitted there, and I'll stir up mutiny; and you, three-tailed bashaw as you are, sir,
我会进入后宫,鼓动造反。纵然你是三尾帕夏,
shall in a trice find yourself fettered amongst our hands:
转眼之间,你会被我们的人戴上镣铐,
nor will I, for one, consent to cut your bonds till you have signed a charter,
除非你签署一个宪章,有史以来的专制君王所签发的最宽容的宪章,
the most liberal that despot ever yet conferred."
不然至少我是不会同意砸烂镣铐的。”
"I would consent to be at your mercy, Jane."
“我同意听你摆布,盼你开恩,简。”
"I would have no mercy, Mr. Rochester, if you supplicated for it with an eye like that.
“要是你用那种目光来恳求,罗切斯特先生,那我不会开恩。
While you looked so, I should be certain that whatever charter you might grant under coercion,
我敢肯定,只要你摆出那付面孔,无论你在被迫的情况下同意哪种宪章,
your first act, when released, would be to violate its conditions."
你获释后要干的第一件事,便是破坏宪章的条件。”