Glad was I to get him out of the silk warehouse, and then out of a jewellers shop:
我庆幸自己出了丝绸货栈,随后又离开了一家珠宝店:
the more he bought me, the more my cheek burned with a sense of annoyance and degradation.
他给我买的东西越多,我的脸颊也因为恼恨和堕落感而更加烧灼得厉害了。
As we re-entered the carriage, and I sat back feverish and fagged,
我再次进了马车,往后一靠坐了下来,心里热辣辣,身子疲惫不堪。
I remembered what, in the hurry of events, dark and bright,
这时我想起来了,随着光明和暗淡的岁月的流逝,
I had wholly forgotten the letter of my uncle, John Eyre, to Mrs. Reed:
我已完全忘却了我叔叔约翰·爱写给里德太太的信,
his intention to adopt me and make me his legatee.
忘了他要收养我让我成为他遗产继承人的打算。
"It would, indeed, be a relief," I thought, "if I had ever so small an independency;
“如果我有那么一点儿独立财产的话。”我想,“说实在我会心安理得的。
I never can bear being dressed like a doll by Mr. Rochester,
我绝不能忍受罗切斯特先生把我打扮成像玩偶一样,
or sitting like a second Danae with the golden shower falling daily round me.
或者像第二个达那厄那样坐着,每天让金雨洒遍全身。
I will write to Madeira the moment I get home, and tell my uncle John I am going to be married, and to whom:
我一到家就要写信到马德里,告诉我叔叔约翰,我要结婚了及跟谁结婚。
if I had but a prospect of one day bringing Mr. Rochester an accession of fortune,
如果我能期望有一天给罗切斯特先生带来一笔新增的财产,
I could better endure to be kept by him now."
那我可以更好地忍受现在由他养起来了。”
And somewhat relieved by this idea (which I failed not to execute that day),
这么一想,心里便感到有些宽慰(这个想法那天没有实现),
I ventured once more to meet my master's and lover's eye,
我再次大胆地与我主人兼恋人的目光相遇,
which most pertinaciously sought mine, though I averted both face and gaze.
尽管我避开他的面容和目光,他的目光却执拗地搜寻着我的。
He smiled; and I thought his smile was such as a sultan might, in a blissful and fond moment,
他微微一笑。我想他的微笑是一个苏丹在欣喜和多情的时刻,
bestow on a slave his gold and gems had enriched:
赐予他刚给了金银财宝的奴隶的。
I crushed his hand, which was ever hunting mine, vigorously,
他的手一直在找寻我的手,我使劲握了它一下,
and thrust it back to him red with the passionate pressure.
把那只被满腔激情压红了的手甩了回去。