"Did I like his voice?" he asked.
他问我,喜欢他的嗓子么?
"Very much." I was not fond of pampering that susceptible vanity of his;
“很喜欢,”我本不乐意纵容他敏感的虚荣心,
but for once, and from motives of expediency, I would e'en soothe and stimulate it.
但只那么一次,又出于一时需要,我甚至会迎合和怂恿这样的虚荣心。
"Then, Jane, you must play the accompaniment."
“那么,简,你得伴奏。”
"Very well, sir, I will try."
“很好,先生,我可以试试。”
I did try, but was presently swept off the stool and denominated "a little bungler."
我的确试了试。但立即被赶下了琴凳,而且被称作“笨手笨脚的小东西。”
Being pushed unceremoniously to one side -- which was precisely what I wished
他把我无礼地推到了一边--这正中我下怀,
he usurped my place, and proceeded to accompany himself: for he could play as well as sing.
抢占了位置,开始为自己伴奏起来,因为他既能唱又能弹。
I hied me to the window-recess.
我赶紧走向窗子的壁龛。
And while I sat there and looked out on the still trees and dim lawn,
坐在那里,眺望着沉寂的树木和昏暗的草地,
to a sweet air was sung in mellow tones the following strain.
听他以醇厚的嗓音,和着优美的旋律,唱起了下面的歌。