As I ran down the passage, my sister's door was unlocked, and revolved slowly upon its hinges.
就在我顺着过道跑过去的时候,只看见我姐姐的门锁已开,房门正在慢慢地移动着。
I stared at it horror-stricken, not knowing what was about to issue from it.
我吓呆了,瞪着双眼看着,不知道会有什么东西从门里出来。
By the light of the corridor-lamp I saw my sister appear at the opening,
借着过道的灯光,我看见我姐姐出现在房门口,
her face blanched with terror, her hands groping for help, her whole figure swaying to and fro like that of a drunkard.
她的脸由于恐惧而雪白如纸,双手摸索着寻求援救,整个身体就象醉汉一样摇摇晃晃。
I ran to her and threw my arms round her, but at that moment her knees seemed to give way and she fell to the ground.
我跑上前去,双手拥抱住她。这时只见她似乎双膝无力,颓然跌倒在地。
She writhed as one who is in terrible pain, and her limbs were dreadfully convulsed.
她象一个正在经受剧痛的人那样翻滚扭动,她的四肢可怕地抽搐。
At first I thought that she had not recognized me,
起初我以为她没有认出是我,
but as I bent over her she suddenly shrieked out in a voice which I shall never forget,
可是当我俯身要抱她时,她突然发出凄厉的叫喊,那叫声我是一辈子也忘不了的。
'Oh, my God! Helen! It was the band! The speckled band!'
'唉,海伦!天啊!是那条带子!那条带斑点的带子!'
There was something else which she would fain have said,
她似乎言犹未尽,还很想说些别的什么,
and she stabbed with her finger into the air in the direction of the doctor's room,
她把手举在空中,指向医生的房间,
but a fresh convulsion seized her and choked her words.
但是抽搐再次发作,她说不出话来了。
I rushed out, calling loudly for my stepfather, and I met him hastening from his room in his dressing-gown.
我疾步奔跑出去,大声喊我的继父,正碰上他穿着睡衣,急急忙忙地从他的房间赶过来。
When he reached my sister's side she was unconscious,
他赶到我姐姐身边时,我姐姐已经不省人事了。
and though he poured brandy down her throat and sent for medical aid from the village,
尽管他给她灌下了白兰地,并从村里请来了医生,
all efforts were in vain, for she slowly sank and died without having recovered her consciousness.
但一切努力都是徒劳无功的,因为她已奄奄一息,濒临死亡,直至咽气之前,再也没有重新苏醒。
Such was the dreadful end of my beloved sister."
这就是我那亲爱的姐姐的悲惨结局。"