They walk out. And as they are walking out, they tell them, oh just by the way,
他们走出去,出去之前对受试者说:顺便提一下
these chocolate chip cookies, they are for the next experiment. So if you don't mind, don't touch them.
这些巧克力脆饼是为下一个试验所准备的。所以如果你不介意的话,最好不要动它
So you are sitting there, almost dying, but you are not touching it.
于是你就坐在那儿,非常渴望,但就是不能碰它
And ten minutes later, the experimenter does come in, takes you to the experiment.
十分钟之后,试验者确实回来了,带你去参加试验
The experiment is very difficult. Very difficult.
这个试验非常难。非常难
Very difficult test that you need to take. A test that most people don't solve
你要进行非常非常难的测试。大多数人都无法通过这个测试
and requires a lot of perseverance and hard work. But most people, even with perseverance and hard work do not solve it.
并且这需要大量的坚持和努力,但大多数人,即使拥有坚持和努力也没法通过
So the outcome measure, what the researcher is interested in is mostly how much did you persevere before giving up on that test.
所以评估结果时,研究者感兴趣的是,在放弃测试前,你坚持了多久
How much did you persevere before giving up on that test?
在放弃测试前,你坚持了多久
That was the outcome measure, the dependent variable.
这才是对结果的评估,才是因变量
Second group, randomly picked, come into the same room, sitting on the same chair, have the same bowl on the table.
第二组随机挑选的人,进入同样的房间坐在同一把椅子上,旁边桌上放着相同的碗
But instead of chocolate chip cookies, what they have in the bowl are red beetroots.
但里面装的不是巧克力脆饼,而是甜菜根
Freshly baked. Just came out of the oven. And they are sitting there.
刚烤好,新鲜出炉。他们就坐在那儿
And the experimenter is about to walk out, says, just one more thing.
然后试验者正要走出去,说:还有一件事
If you don't mind, don't touch those beetroots. They are for the next experiment. OK. Fine.
如果你不介意的话,别碰这些甜菜根,这是为了下一个试验准备的,好