So you are sitting there for 10 minutes.
你坐在那儿坐了十分钟
10 minutes later, the experimenter comes in, takes you to the "real" experiment.
十分钟后,试验者进来了,带你去参加“真正的”试验
Sitting down, you take the exact same test. The exact same puzzle.
你坐下来做了跟之前那个一模一样的测试,完全一样的谜题
And once again, how long will you persevere before giving up?
然后再次看看,放弃测试之前你能坚持多久
Think about for yourself for a second. Who do you think persevered more?
你们自己想一下,你们觉得哪一组能坚持得久一些
The chocolate chip cookies group? Or the beetroots group? Think for yourself for a second. By the way, I guessed wrong when I answered this question. OK.
巧克力脆饼组还是甜菜根组,你们自己想一下,顺便说一下,我在回答这个问题时猜错了
Significantly more perseverance, significantly more, wasn't close,
有一组显着地坚持得更久,显着地更久,而不是细微差别,
the group that had the beetroots persevered a lot more. Why? I wouldn't understand.
甜菜根那组显着地坚持得更久,为什么,当时我也不理解
The mechanism and he did some more experiment to explain the mechanism.
这个机制,他还做了些其他试验来解释这个机制
It's because the chocolate chip cookie group had used self-discipline not to touch, though they really wanted to touch it.
这是因为巧克力脆饼组已经用了自律来阻止自己动饼干,虽然他们十分想碰它
But they couldn't. So they used their quota of self-discipline.
但他们不能碰,所以他们已经用了那份自律了
And when they went into the quote\unquote "real" experiment, what happened was that they had little or no self-discipline left
等他们去参加“真正的”试验时,他们就几乎不剩什么自律了
And that, that maze, that experiment, that test required a lot of self-discipline.
而那个迷宫,那个试验,那个测试需要大量的自律
The point of this study is we all have limited amount of self-discipline.
这个研究所要告诉我们的是我们都只有有限量的自律
And the question is what do we used it on.
问题在于我们将它用在了哪里