Then I could get a lot of work done,
我就可以做很多事
because with squash, we were at the courts, you know trained physically for two hours but total three hours a day.
因为打壁球时在球场上每天都要训练两到三小时
Weekends, we were travelling mostly or had matches at home.
周末,我们经常要外出或在这里打比赛
Mornings, at least two mornings a week we were lifting weights or in the gym.
早上,每周至少两个早晨我们要健身或者举重
So it was rough. A lot of work and I said I can't wait to have the freedom without squash,
这很难捱,积了一大堆作业,我等不及获得没有壁球的自由
especially giving that I wasn't enjoying that much at that point.
尤其是当时我还不是那么爱打壁球
Can't wait. Not to do anymore and just to focus on my classes. Catch up on all the readings and writings and stuff.
等不及不再打壁球,专注于我的学习。追上阅读,写作之类的进度
March 1 came. I stopped playing completely.
三月一号到来了,我彻底不再打球
And instead of becoming more productive. I became far less productive.
但与高效学习相反,我反而效率变低很多
Now I see a lot of you nodding. The athletes know what I am talking about.
我看到你们很多人点头,运动员们肯定都有同感
Why? Why did I become more, or rather less productive? Procrastination, wow! Skyrocketed.
为什么,我的效率取决于什么?拖延,哇!突然升高
Why? Because for years I've been told I'm a person with self-discipline.
为什么,因为许多年来大家都跟我说我是一个自律的人
And I started to believe it. Yeah, I have a lot of self-discipline. Look at me!
而我也开始相信这一点。对,我确实很自律,看看我
I trained so hard. I worked, you know, when I played on the circus six hours a day.
我刻苦地训练,训练,每天像杂耍一样地训练六个小时
That's a lot of self-discipline! And suddenly, the squash season ended.
那可是非常的自律啊!然而突然间,壁球赛季结束了
And I said, "alright, let's see this discipline at work!"
我说"好吧,看看这自律的作用吧!"
And I wasn't getting any work done. Why? Because I gave up my rituals.
但我却什么也没做成。为什么,因为我的例行公事被打破了
You see, during the season, those of you who played varsity or very involved in music or club know that,
在赛季中,你们那些在校队的,或是投身于音乐或社团的就知道
when you are investing a lot in a certain organization, your time has to be ritualized.
当你在特定组织里投入很多时,你的时间必须例行化
So you know you are in practice then or you are in these hours, or you are having meetings at these hours.
那样你就知道你在什么时候该训练,或学习。或者什么时候该开会
And after that you have to go back and work. Because you only have two hours to do. And you want to get an OK night sleep.
那之后你就回去学习,因为你只有两个小时,而你又想睡个还算安稳的觉