SOME time in the afternoon I raised my head,
下午某个时候,我抬起头来,
and looking round and seeing the western sun gilding the sign of its decline on the wall, I asked, "What am I to do?"
向四周瞧了瞧,看见西沉的太阳正在墙上涂上金色的落日印记,我问道,“我该怎么办?”
But the answer my mind gave -- "Leave Thornfield at once" -- was so prompt, so dread, that I stopped my ears.
我心灵的回答--“立即离开桑菲尔德”--是那么及时,又那么可怕,我立即捂住了耳朵。
I said I could not bear such words now.
我说,这些话我现在可受不了。
"That I am not Edward Rochester's bride is the least part of my woe," I alleged:
“我不当爱德华·罗切斯特先生的新娘,是我痛苦中最小的一部份,”我断言,
"that I have wakened out of most glorious dreams, and found them all void and vain, is a horror I could bear and master;
“我从一场美梦中醒来,发现全是竹篮打水一场空,这种恐惧我既能忍受,也能克服。
but that I must leave him decidedly, instantly, entirely, is intolerable. I cannot do it."
不过要我义无反顾地马上离他而去却让我受不了,我不能这么做。”
But, then, a voice within me averred that I could do it and foretold that I should do it.
但是,我内心的另一个声音却认为我能这样做,而且预言我应当这么做。
I wrestled with my own resolution:
我斟酌着这个决定,
I wanted to be weak that I might avoid the awful passage of further suffering I saw laid out for me;
希望自己软弱些,以躲避已经为我铺下的可怕的痛苦道路。
and Conscience, turned tyrant, held Passion by the throat, told her tauntingly,
而良心己变成暴君,抓住激情的喉咙,嘲弄地告诉她,
she had yet but dipped her dainty foot in the slough,
她那美丽的脚已经陷入了泥沼,
and swore that with that arm of iron he would thrust her down to unsounded depths of agony.
还发誓要用铁臂把她推入深不可测的痛苦深渊。