手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 科学探秘之旅 > 正文

我们距离长生不老还有多远(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

But that was only the beginning.

这还仅仅只是个开始。

Since then, they’ve added more and more molecules to that arsenal,

从那以后,他们发现的这类分子越来越多,

and today they’re digging into a particularly promising one known as nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide…

当下,他们已经开始研究一种颇有前景的,名为烟酰胺腺嘌呤二核苷酸的分子。

But let’s just call it NAD.

我们就叫它NAD吧。

NAD is a coenzyme, or helper molecule, formed from vitamin b3,

NAD是由维生素b3形成的一种辅酶,也叫辅助分子,

and we’re just discovering all the ways it helps your cells reset and repair themselves.

我们刚刚发现了它帮助细胞自我重置和自我修复的所有方法。

It actually is a molecule that tells the body when it's time to fight disease and stay healthy.

它实际上是一种能够告诉身体什么时候该对抗疾病,保持健康的分子。

As we get older, some of our tissues, they have less and less NAD.

随着我们年龄的增长,一些组织的NAD会逐渐变少。

And without NAD, we'd be dead in probably 10 seconds.

没有了NAD,我们连10秒都活不过。

By studying how the body makes NAD,

通过研究身体产生NAD的原理,

Dr. Sinclair’s team believes they might just be able to find a more direct path to longer life.

辛克莱博士的研究小组认为,他们或许能找到一条更直接的延长寿命的途径。

This molecule NMN, not to be confused with M&M's, is what we call a precursor to NAD.

这个分子就是NMN——大家可别和M&M'S混淆了——就是我们所说的NAD的前身。

We can synthesize it.

这种分子我们是可以合成的。

And when we give mice NMN in their drinking water, their levels of NAD go up about 50%,

我们给老鼠的饮用水中加入NMN以后,它们体内的NAD水平上升了50%,

and that's when we see these remarkable health benefits in those old mice.

也就是在这个时候,我们看到了NAD对这些年老的老鼠产生了显著的健康作用。

They can run 50% further and they're resistant to radiation…

它们能跑得比没有摄入NMN的老鼠远50%,还能抵抗辐射……

And if this works, we could potentially have a pill that could mimic those things.

如果这种方法有效,我们或许能研制出模拟这些分子的药物。

We know that they're healthier, but will they live longer? That's what we're trying to find out.

我们知道摄入了NMN的老鼠变得更健康了,但他们的寿命变长了吗?我们想知道的其实是这个。

Meanwhile, other branches of medical research are tackling specific diseases or symptoms associated with age,

与此同时,医学研究的其他分支也已经在攻克与年龄有关的特定疾病或症状了,

and some exciting technologies are on the horizon.

不久就将有一批令人兴奋的技术问世。

There's been a lot of very promising work in regenerating body tissue.

身体组织再生方面已经成立了很多很有前途的研究。

Another very promising area is genetic manipulation, individualized medicine…

另一个有着光明前途的领域是基因控制,个体化医疗…

Nanotechnologies might eventually let us put lots of small mini robots into our body that would help build bones or kill germs.

未来,我们或许能借助纳米技术在我们体内植入各种小型机器人,帮助我们建造骨骼或杀死细菌。

So progress is being made in reducing heart disease death rates, stroke death rates, cancer death rates,

降低心脏病死亡率、中风死亡率、癌症死亡率等方面的研究都已经取得了进展,

there's some progress being made against alzheimer's.

对抗老年痴呆症方面也已经取得了一些进展。

But if we do unlock the secrets to eternal youth, what would our world look like?

但如果我们真的解开了永葆青春的秘密,我们的世界会变成什么样呢?

To keep yourself amused for 200 years, you'd have to have multiple careers,

要让自己开心200年,你必须从事多种职业,

you'd have to learn new things, you'd have great, great, great, great, great grandchildren, you know.

还要学习新的东西,还有机会看到自己的重重重孙喔。

It'd be a really different life.

那时候的生活会和我们现在的生活完全不一样。

If we extend people's lives by a lot, what are we going to do with all these people?

如果我们把人们的寿命延长很多,我们要怎么处理这些人呢?

Will there be enough jobs?

届时会有足够的工作岗位吗?

Will there be enough money for them?

会有足够的钱给他们吗?

And my view is that if we treat aging,

我的观点是,如果我们要治疗衰老,

we'll have people living into their eighties and nineties in a productive, healthy way.

我们就要让大家高效、健康地活到八九十岁。

That would save a trillion dollars a year in the U.S., easily.

这样,一年就能轻轻松松给国家剩下上万亿美元。

1

And globally, many trillion.

放眼全球的话,就是数万亿美元。

And that's money that can be put back into medical research, into education, into protecting the environment.

这些钱可以花在医学研究、教育和环境保护等方面。

So in addition to continually improving the basics, nutrition, sleep, social life, global access to health care,

所以,除了要不断改善基础设施、营养、睡眠、社交生活、全球卫生保健,

we might just have to perfect the recipe for the ultimate youth vitamin,

我们可能只需要完善由模仿人体天然抗老化功能的合成分子组成的

made of synthetic molecules that mimic your body’s natural age-defying functions,

永葆青春的维生素的配方就可以了,

oh, and maybe throw some bone-building nanobots and gene makeovers in there for good measure.

哦对了,或许还可以放一些造骨纳米机器人和改造基因的机器人到我们体内。

Sounds casual.

听起来还挺稀松平常的呢。

So, how close are we to immortality?

那么,我们离长生不老究竟还有多远呢?

A good middle of the road prediction would be life expectancy might go up something like three months per year.

一个相对中庸的预测是我们的预期寿命可能会每年增长三个月左右。

So that means in four decades you live ten years longer, and in eight decades you live 20 years longer.

这意味着40年后你会多活10年,80年后你会多活20年。

What current research indicates, is that

就目前的研究来看,

young children today, in countries with high life expectancy, most of them will probably live past 100.

当下,在预期寿命较高的国家,大多数儿童的寿命可能会超过100岁。

Their grandchildren and their great grandchildren might live well into their 100s.

他们的孙辈和曾孙辈可能会活到一百好几十岁。

Can we be immortal?

我们能长生不老吗?

I don't know of a reason physically why we cannot, but I don't know of any technology right now that would allow us to.

从体格上来讲,我觉得没有理由不能,但我还真不知道目前有什么技术能实现这一点。

The longer you live, the more technology you have.

活得越久,拥有的科技就越多。

Already we see age reversal in some experiments.

而且,我们已经在一些实验中看到了年龄逆转的希望了。

So, you know, by the end of this century,

到本世纪末,

I think it'll be commonplace to be able to reverse many parts of aging, if not the entire thing.

我认为,我们即使不能彻底逆转衰老这一进程,逆转这一进程的多个环节还是不成问题的。

Like science? Want more science, forever?

喜欢科学?想要更多的科学,直到永远?

You can help make this channel immortal by subscribing to seeker.

你可以通过订阅来帮助这个频道长生不老喔。

Let us know what you think in the comments below, and we'll see you next time.

请在下面的评论中告诉我们你的想法,我们下次节目再见啦。

Thanks for watching! Bye.

感谢大家的收看!拜!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
ultimate ['ʌltimit]

想一想再看

n. 终极,根本,精华
adj. 终极的,根本

 
nutrition [nju:'triʃən]

想一想再看

n. 营养

 
tissue ['tiʃu:]

想一想再看

n. (生物的)组织,织物,薄绢,纸巾

 
promising ['prɔmisiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 有希望的,有前途的

 
extend [iks'tend]

想一想再看

v. 扩充,延伸,伸展,扩展

联想记忆
current ['kʌrənt]

想一想再看

n. (水、气、电)流,趋势
adj. 流通的

联想记忆
confused [kən'fju:zd]

想一想再看

adj. 困惑的;混乱的;糊涂的 v. 困惑(confu

 
resistant [ri'zistənt]

想一想再看

adj. 抵抗的,反抗的
n. 抵抗者

联想记忆
molecule ['mɔlikju:l]

想一想再看

n. 分子

 
gene [dʒi:n]

想一想再看

n. 基因

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。