I had already gained the door; but, reader, I walked back -- walked back as determinedly as I had retreated.
我已经走到了门边,可是读者呀,我走了回来--像我退出时一样坚决地走了回来。
I knelt down by him; I turned his face from the cushion to me;
我跪倒在他旁边,我把他的脸从沙发垫转向我,
I kissed his cheek; I smoothed his hair with my hand.
我吻了吻他的脸颊,用手把他的头发撸服贴。
"God bless you, my dear master!" I said.
“上帝祝福你,我亲爱的主人,”我说。
"God keep you from harm and wrong -- direct you, solace you -- reward you well for your past kindness to me."
“上帝会保护你免受伤害,免做错事--指引你,安慰你--好好地报答你过去对我的好意。”
"Little Jane's love would have been my best reward," he answered; "without it, my heart is broken.
“小简的爱将是我最好的酬报,”他回答说:“没有它,我会心碎。
But Jane will give me her love: yes -- nobly, generously."
但简会把她的爱给我,是的--既高尚又慷慨。”
Up the blood rushed to his face; forth flashed the fire from his eyes; erect he sprang; he held his arms out;
血一下子涌到了我脸上,他的眼睛射出了火光。他猛地一跳,站直了身子,伸出双臂。
but I evaded the embrace, and at once quitted the room.
但我躲开了拥抱,立刻走出了房间。
"Farewell!" was the cry of my heart as I left him. Despair added, "Farewell for ever!"
“别了,”我离开他时我的心儿在叫喊。绝望又使我加了一句话,“永别了。”