I could not bear to return to the sordid village, where, besides, no prospect of aid was visible.
我不忍再返回龌龊的庄子,况且那儿也没有希望得到帮助。
I should have longed rather to deviate to a wood I saw not far off,
我本想绕道去一个看得见的不远的林子。
which appeared in its thick shade to offer inviting shelter;
那里浓荫盖地,似乎有可能提供诱人的落脚地方。
but I was so sick, so weak, so gnawed with nature's cravings,
但是我那么病弱,那么为天性的渴求所折磨、
instinct kept me roaming round abodes where there was a chance of food.
本能使我只绕着有机会得到食品的住处转。
Solitude would be no solitude -- rest no rest -- while the vulture, hunger, thus sank beak and talons in my side.
当饥饿像猛禽一样嘴爪俱下抓住我时、孤独也不成其孤独,歇息也谈不上歇息了。
I drew near houses; I left them, and came back again, and again I wandered away:
我走近了住家,走开了又回来,回来了又走开。
always repelled by the consciousness of having no claim to ask -- no right to expect interest in my isolated lot.
总有被一种意识所击退,觉得没有理由提出要求,没有权利期望别人对我孤独的命运发生兴趣。
Meantime, the afternoon advanced, while I thus wandered about like a lost and starving dog.
我像一条迷路的饿狗那么转来转去,一直到了下午。
In crossing a field, I saw the church spire before me: I hastened towards it.
我穿过田野的时候,看到前面的教堂尖顶,便急步朝它走去。