About two o'clock p.m. I entered the village.
约摸下午两点,我进了村庄。
At the bottom of its one street there was a little shop with some cakes of bread in the window.
一条街的尽头开着一个小店,窗里放着一些面包。
I coveted a cake of bread.
我对一块面包很眼馋。
With that refreshment I could perhaps regain a degree of energy:
有那样一块点心,我也许还能恢复一点力气,
without it, it would be difficult to proceed.
要是没有,再往前走就困难了。
The wish to have some strength and some vigour returned to me as soon as I was amongst my fellow-beings.
一回到我的同类之间,心头便又升起了要恢复精力的愿望。
I felt it would be degrading to faint with hunger on the causeway of a hamlet.
我觉得昏倒在一个小村的大路上很丢脸。
Had I nothing about me I could offer in exchange for one of these rolls? I considered.
难道我身上就连换取几块面包的东西都没有了吗?我想了一想。
I had a small silk handkerchief tied round my throat; I had my gloves.
我有一小块丝绸围巾围在脖子上,还有一双手套。
I could hardly tell how men and women in extremities of destitution proceeded.
我难以表达贫困潦倒中的男女是怎么度日的。
I did not know whether either of these articles would be accepted: probably they would not; but I must try.
我不知道这两件东西是否会被人接受,可能他们不会要,但我得试一试。