USC has a rich tradition of brave graduates. Now it's up to you to carry on that tradition.
南加州大学有着盛产勇敢毕业生的优良传统。现在,轮到你们来传承这一传统了。
Your bravest self will be your best self.
你们最勇敢的自己将是最好的自己。
Moving from this momentous occasion, I hope you embrace these words written by W.E.B. Dubois who co-founded the NAACP.
从这一重大时刻起,我希望你们认可全国有色人种协进会联合创始人W.E.B.杜波依斯所写的这些话。
In 1914, he sent his then-teenage daughter to boarding school in England.
1914年,他把十几岁的女儿送到英国的寄宿学校学习。
And here's the advice he offered to her as she set out on this exciting and terrifying adventure.
下面是他在女儿踏上那激动人心又令人可怕的冒险之旅时所给出的建议。
I mean, think about it, 1914, black teenager, going to England. He said and these words apply to you.
我的意思是,想想看,在1914年,一个黑人少女只身前往英国。他说了这样的话,而这些话同样适用于你们。
"You are in one of the world's best schools, in one of the world's greatest modern empires. Deserve it, then.
“你去的地方是世界上最好的学校之一,是世界上最伟大的现代帝国之一。要配得上这所学校。
Be frank, honest, and fearless. The main thing is the YOU beneath the clothes and skin.
做人要率直、诚实、无所畏惧。你衣服和皮肤下面的那个你才是最主要的。
Don't shy away from new experiences and custom. Take the cold bath bravely."
不要回避新的体验和风俗。勇敢地洗个冷水澡吧。”
And so I say to you, as you plunge into your own new adventure, take the cold bath bravely.
所以我要对你们说,当你们投入自己新的冒险旅程时,勇敢地洗个冷水澡吧。
And as inspiring and as important as that message was, he didn't end his letter there.
杜波依斯的那些话如此鼓舞人心、如此重要,但他的信并没有就此结束。
He actually ended with something more important.
实际上,他在结尾写了更重要的话。
He said: "Above all, remember: your father loves you and he believes in you."
他说:“最重要的是,要记住,你的父亲是爱你的,而且他相信你。
That is my hope for all of you that you are brave and that you are loved.
我对你们所有人的希望就是,做勇敢的人,做有人爱的人。
Congratulations to the USC Class of 2015. Fight on!
祝贺南加州大学2015届毕业生。继续奋斗吧!