The recollection of about three days and nights succeeding this is very dim in my mind.
这以后的三天三夜,我脑子里的记忆很模糊。
I can recall some sensations felt in that interval; but few thoughts framed, and no actions performed.
我能回忆起那段时间一鳞半爪的感觉,但形不成什么想法,付诸不了行动。
I knew I was in a small room and in a narrow bed.
我知道自己在一个小房间里,躺在狭窄的床上。
To that bed I seemed to have grown; I lay on it motionless as a stone;
我与那张床似乎已难舍难分。我躺着一动不动,像块石头,
and to have torn me from it would have been almost to kill me.
把我从那儿挣开,几乎等于要我的命。
I took no note of the lapse of time -- of the change from morning to noon, from noon to evening.
我并不在乎时间的流逝--不在乎上午转为下午、下午转为晚上的变化。
I observed when any one entered or left the apartment: I could even tell who they were;
我观察别人进出房间,甚至还能分辨出他们是谁,
I could understand what was said when the speaker stood near to me; but I could not answer;
能听懂别人在我身旁所说的话,但回答不上来。
to open my lips or move my limbs was equally impossible.
动嘴唇与动手脚一样不行。
Hannah, the servant, was my most frequent visitor. Her coming disturbed me.
佣人汉娜来得最多,她一来就使我感到不安。
I had a feeling that she wished me away: that she did not understand me or my circumstances; that she was prejudiced against me.
我有一种感觉,她希望我走。她不了解我和我的处境,对我怀有偏见。
Diana and Mary appeared in the chamber once or twice a day.
黛安娜和玛丽每天到房间来一两回。
They would whisper sentences of this sort at my bedside: "It is very well we took her in."
她们会在我床边悄声说着这一类话:“幸好我们把她收留下来了。”
"Yes; she would certainly have been found dead at the door in the morning had she been left out all night.
“是呀,要是她整夜给关在房子外面,第二天早晨准会死有门口。
I wonder what she has gone through?"
不知道她吃了什么苦头。”
"Strange hardships, I imagine -- poor, emaciated, pallid wanderer?"
“我想象是少见的苦头吧,消瘦、苍白、可怜的流浪者!”
"She is not an uneducated person, I should think, by her manner of speaking; her accent was quite pure;
“从她说话的神态看,我认为她不是一个没有受过教育的人、她的口音很纯。
and the clothes she took off, though splashed and wet, were little worn and fine."
她脱下的衣服虽然湿淋淋溅了泥,但不旧,而且很精致。”
"She has a peculiar face; fleshless and haggard as it is, I rather like it;
“她的脸很奇特,尽管皮包骨头又很憔悴,但我比较喜欢。
and when in good health and animated, I can fancy her physiognomy would be agreeable."
可以想见她健康而有生气时、面孔一定很可爱。”