It can be beetles that come off a cactus, it can be the dried urine of a cow,
(我们收集的颜料)可能是从仙人掌上的甲虫身上提取出来的,可能是从干燥后的奶牛尿液中提取出来的,
little insects that grow on an oak tree, a chunk of lead that's soaked in vinegar.
也可能是从长在橡树上的小昆虫身上提取的,或者是从浸在醋里的铅块上提取出来的。
It's truly amazing.
那些颜色真的超漂亮。
We're in Harvard University, outside the Forbes pigment collection.
我们现在在哈佛大学福布斯颜料收藏馆外。
Pigment is a very small particle of colored material that is mixed in with a binding medium.
颜料是一种借助粘合剂混合在一起的非常小的有色颗粒。
The pigment gives paint its color.
油彩的颜色就是颜料赋予的。
The Forbes pigment collection has been brought together over several decades.
福布斯颜料收藏库已经有好几十年收藏颜料的历史了。
We have around 2,500 pigments.
我们的收藏多达2500种左右。
We have a lot of very unusual and very rare colors.
很多都是特别不同寻常,特别罕见的颜色。
So this is, I think, one of the more unusually named pigments.
这个应该是名字比较特别的那种。
It's called dragon's blood.
它叫“龙血色”。
It doesn't come from dragons, it comes from rattan palms.
但它并不是从龙身上提取出来的,而是从棕榈藤上提取出来的。
And it give a very bright red pigment.
它是比较鲜艳的红色。
The unusual aspect of mummy has to do with its source rather than the color itself, and that comes from Egyptian mummies.
木乃伊色的不同寻常之处与其来源而非其颜色有关,因为它是从埃及的木乃伊身上取下来的。
And it's the resin that's applied to the outside of the bandages.
绷带外涂的树脂用的就是这种颜色。
I think the rarest color that we have is actually an entire ball of Indian yellow.
我们收藏的最稀有的颜色是一整个球的印度黄。
And this is a pigment that is made from the dried urine of cows that are fed only on mango leaves.
这是将只吃芒果叶的奶牛的尿液干燥后提取出来的一种颜料。
If you're looking at a work of art, and you want to understand what is original and what's a restoration,
看画的时候,如果你想知道哪幅是真迹,哪幅是修复的,
you will take a tiny sample of pigment and analyze it.
取少量的颜料样本分析分析就知道了。
A lot of the pigments are actually toxic,
事实上,这些颜料有很多都是有毒的,
so you don't want to handle the pigments and then go out to lunch.
所以,跟它们打完交道还是不要直接就餐的好。
There's a green called emerald green that has an arsenic center to it.
比如,有种绿叫“祖母绿”,其核心成分却是砷。
We can use them for telling if something is real or not.
我们可以用这些颜料来辨别某个东西的真伪。
People will say this is by a certain artist,
比如,大家会说,某某作品绝对是某个艺术家的手笔,
and we can look at the materials that are used and decide if those materials were available during that artist's lifetime.
我们通过分析作品使用的原料,看那些原料在作者有生之年是否用得上,
If not, then we have to look at who might have painted that picture.
如果用不上,那我们就得考证究竟谁才是那幅画作可能的作者。
I can't pick a personal favorite.
个人最喜欢的颜色啊,这个我没法儿选。
There's, it's like asking to pick a favorite child.
这就跟选一个最喜欢的孩子一样。
No, the other 2,400 would feel left out.
不能选,不然剩下的2400种颜料会觉得自己被冷落了。