On a chair by the bedside were all my own things, clean and dry.
我床边的椅子上摆着我所有的衣物,又干净又干燥。
My black silk frock hung against the wall.
我的黑丝上衣挂在墙上。
The traces of the bog were removed from it; the creases left by the wet smoothed out: it was quite decent.
泥沼的印迹已经洗去,潮湿留下的褶皱己经熨平,看上去很不错了。
My very shoes and stockings were purified and rendered presentable.
我的鞋子和袜子已洗得干干净净,很是象样了。
There were the means of washing in the room, and a comb and brush to smooth my hair.
房子里有流洗的工具,有一把梳子和一把刷子可把头发梳理整齐。
After a weary process, and resting every five minutes, I succeeded in dressing myself.
我疲乏地挣扎了一番,每隔五分钟休息一下,终于穿好了衣服。
My clothes hung loose on me; for I was much wasted,
因为消瘦,衣服穿在身上很宽松,
but I covered deficiencies with a shawl, and once more, clean and respectable looking
不过我用披肩掩盖了这个不足,于是我再一次清清爽爽体体面面了,
no speck of the dirt, no trace of the disorder I so hated, and which seemed so to degrade me, left
没有一丝我最讨厌、并似乎很降低我身份的尘土和凌乱,
I crept down a stone staircase with the aid of the banisters, to a narrow low passage, and found my way presently to the kitchen.
我扶着栏杆,爬下了石头楼梯,到了一条低矮窄小的过道,立刻进了厨房。
It was full of the fragrance of new bread and the warmth of a generous fire. Hannah was baking.
厨房里弥漫着新鲜面包的香气和熊熊炉火的暖意。汉娜正在烤面包。
Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education:
众所周知,偏见很难从没有用教育松过土施过肥的心田里根除,
they grow there, firm as weeds among stones.
它像野草钻出石缝那样顽强地在那儿生长。
Hannah had been cold and stiff, indeed, at the first: latterly she had begun to relent a little;
说实在,起初汉娜冷淡生硬。近来开始和气一点了,
and when she saw me come in tidy and well-dressed, she even smiled.
而这回见我衣冠楚楚,竟笑了起来。