Never once in their dialogues did I hear a syllable of regret at the hospitality they had extended to me,
在她们的交谈中,我从来没有听到她们说过一句话,对自己的好客,表示懊悔,
or of suspicion of, or aversion to, myself. I was comforted.
或者对我表示怀疑或厌恶。我得到了安慰。
Mr. St. John came but once: he looked at me,
圣·约翰先生只来过一次,他瞧着我,
and said my state of lethargy was the result of reaction from excessive and protracted fatigue.
说我昏睡不醒是长期疲劳过度的反应。
He pronounced it needless to send for a doctor: nature, he was sure, would manage best, left to herself.
他认为不必去叫医生,确信最好的办法是顺其自然。
He said every nerve had been overstrained in some way, and the whole system must sleep torpid a while.
他说每根神经都有些紧张过度,所以整个机体得有一段沉睡麻木的时期。
There was no disease. He imagined my recovery would be rapid enough when once commenced.
而并不是什么疾病。他想象我的身体一旦开始恢复,会好得很快。
These opinions he delivered in a few words, in a quiet, low voice;
他用几句话表示了这些意见,语调平静而低沉。
and added, after a pause, in the tone of a man little accustomed to expansive comment,
他顿了一下之后又加了一句,用的是一个不习惯于长篇大论的人的语调:
"Rather an unusual physiognomy; certainly, not indicative of vulgarity or degradation."
“一张不同一般的脸,倒没有庸俗下贱之相。”
"Far otherwise," responded Diana. "To speak truth, St. John, my heart rather warms to the poor little soul.
“恰恰相反,”黛安娜回答,“说实话,圣·约翰,我内心对这可怜的小幽灵产生了好感。
I wish we may be able to benefit her permanently."
但愿我们永远能够帮助她。”