I'm Brian Cox, particle physicist.
我叫布莱恩.考克斯,是位粒子物理学家。
I have one of the best jobs in the world.
我有着世界上最好的工作。
I have to find out what are the fundamental building blocks of the universe.
我要找出构建宇宙的基本材料是什么。
How do they stick together, how do they work and, with a bit of luck, find out why they're there at all.
它们是如何结合在一起的,它们是如何运作的,碰到一点运气的话,找出它们存在的根本原因。
I've spent the last ten years looking at the smallest stuff in the universe.
我已经花了10年工夫,关注着宇宙中最小的东西。
But I'm interested in the biggest questions you could possibly ask.
然而我所感兴趣的最大的问题,可能是你想提出的。
Why do I exist? Why do you exist?
为什么我会存在?为什么你会存在?
Why is the Earth the way it is? Why is the universe the way it is?
地球为什么是这种模样?宇宙为什么是这种模样?
Why is the universe built in a way that life can exist at all?
宇宙为什么构建成让生命可以到处存在呢?
At the root of all these questions lies a force of nature that surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy together.
所有这些问题的根本点在于包围我们、穿透我们以及将星系结合在一起的自然之力。
The key to a much deeper understanding of the universe, and even our place within it, is gravity.
答案是...对宇宙更多地深刻了解,还有我们在其中所处的位置...是引力。
It was gravity that made our sun ignite five billion years ago.
是让我们的太阳在50亿年前点燃的引力。
Without gravity there'd be no planets, no stars, no galaxies, nothing.
没有引力,就没有行星,没有恒星,没有星系,什么都没有。
If we want to know why the universe is built the way it is,
如果我们想了解宇宙为什么是这个样子,
we need a complete understanding of this elusive force.
我们就需要完全了解这个捉摸不透的力。