"Hearth tales. Does Craster seem less than human to you?"
“那不过是炉边故事。难道你觉得,卡斯特看来不像人?”
In half a hundred ways. "He gives his sons to the wood."
他不像人的地方可多了。“他把自己的儿子丢进森林。”
A long silence. Then: "Yes." And "Yes," the raven muttered, strutting. "Yes, yes, yes."
长久的沉默。“是啊,”熊老最后说,“是啊。”乌鸦边嘀咕边昂首阔步地走着,“是啊,是啊,是啊。”
"You knew?"
“您早知道?”
"Smallwood told me. Long ago. All the rangers know, though few will talk of it."
“斯莫伍德告诉过我,那是很久以前的事了。其实游骑兵们都知道,只是大家嘴上不提而已。”
"Did my uncle know?"
“我叔叔也知道。”
"All the rangers," Mormont repeated. "You think I ought to stop him. Kill him if need be."
“游骑兵们都知道,”莫尔蒙重复了一遍,“你是不是觉得我该阻止他,甚至杀了他?”
The Old Bear sighed. "Were it only that he wished to rid himself of some mouths, I'd gladly send Yoren or Conwys to collect the boys.
熊老叹口气,“唉,要真是因为他养不活孩子,我很乐意叫尤伦或康威来带他们走。
We could raise them to the black and the Watch would be that much the stronger.
我们可以让他们穿上黑衣,守夜人军团就缺人手。
But the wildlings serve crueler gods than you or I. These boys are Craster's offerings. His prayers, if you will."
但野人侍奉的神比你我的神更残酷,这些孩子是卡斯特的祭品……唉,是他的祈祷方式。”
His wives must offer different prayers, Jon thought.
是吗?他老婆的祈祷可与他大相径庭。琼恩心想。
"How is it you came to know this?" the Old Bear asked him. "From one of Craster's wives?"
“这些事,你怎么知道?”熊老转而问他,“卡斯特的老婆给你说的?”
"Yes, my lord," Jon confessed. "I would sooner not tell you which. She was frightened and wanted help."
“是的,大人,”琼恩坦承,“但我不能告诉您这是谁说的。她吓坏了,她向我求助。”
"The wide world is full of people wanting help, Jon. Would that some could find the courage to help themselves.
“琼恩,世界如此辽阔,到处都有求助的人。其中有的人,或许该鼓起勇气,自己拯救自己。
Craster sprawls in his loft even now, stinking of wine and lost to sense.
这会儿,卡斯特就瘫在阁楼上,浑身酒臭,毫无知觉。
On his board below lies a sharp new axe. Were it me, I'd name it 'Answered Prayer' and make an end."
楼下的长桌上搁着咱们新赠的利斧。如果我是他老婆,我会把这当成天神对祈祷的回应,就此了结他。”