"Indeed you shall stay here," said Diana,
“说实在你应当留在这儿,”
putting her white hand on my head.
黛安娜把她白皙的手搭在我头上说。
"You shall," repeated Mary,
“你应当这样,”玛丽重复说,
in the tone of undemonstrative sincerity which seemed natural to her.
口气里透出了含蓄的真诚,这在她似乎是自然的流露。
"My sisters, you see, have a pleasure in keeping you," said Mr. St. John,
“你瞧,我的妹妹们很乐意收留你,”圣·约翰先生说,
"as they would have a pleasure in keeping and cherishing a half-frozen bird,
“就像乐意收留和抚育快要冻僵的鸟一样。
some wintry wind might have driven through their casement.
一只被寒风驱赶到了窗前的鸟,
I feel more inclination to put you in the way of keeping yourself,
我更倾向于让你自己养活自己,
and shall endeavour to do so; but observe, my sphere is narrow.
而且要努力这样做。但是请注意,我的活动范围很窄,
I am but the incumbent of a poor country parish:
不过是个贫苦乡村教区的牧师。
my aid must be of the humblest sort.
我的帮助肯定是最微不足道的。
And if you are inclined to despise the day of small things,
要是你不屑于干日常琐事,
seek some more efficient succour than such as I can offer."
那就去寻找比我所能提供的更有效的帮助吧。”
"She has already said that she is willing to do anything honest she can do," answered Diana for me;
“她已经说过,凡是力所能及的正当活儿,她都愿意干。”黛安娜替我作了回答。
"and you know, St. John, she has no choice of helpers:
“而且你知道,圣·约翰,她无法挑谁来帮忙,
she is forced to put up with such crusty people as you."
连你这种犟脾气的人,她也不得不忍受。”
"I will be a dressmaker;
“我可以当个裁缝,
I will be a plain-workwoman;
我可以当个普通女工,
I will be a servant, a nurse-girl, if I can be no better," I answered.
要是干不了更好的活,我可以当个仆人,做个护理女。”我回答。
"Right," said Mr. St. John, quite coolly.
“行,”圣·约翰先生十分冷淡地说。
"If such is your spirit, I promise to aid you, in my own time and way."
如果你有这志气,我就答应帮你忙了,用我自己的时间,按我自己的方式。”
He now resumed the book with which he had been occupied before tea.
这时他又继续看他那本茶点之前就已埋头在看的书了。
I soon withdrew, for I had talked as much, and sat up as long, as my present strength would permit.
我立刻退了出去,因为就眼下体力所及,我已经谈得够多,坐得够长了。