"What's up, then?" asked Holmes with a twinkle in his eye. "You look dissatisfied."
"出了什么事啦?啊?"福尔摩斯眨了眨眼睛问道,"看你这样子似乎很不遂心。"
"And I feel dissatisfied. It is this infernal St. Simon marriage case.
"我的确是感到很不称心。就是圣西蒙勋爵婚事这件倒霉的案子。
I can make neither head nor tail of the business."
对这件案子我是一点头绪也没有。"
"Really! You surprise me."
"真的吗?你真叫我感到吃惊。"
"Who ever heard of such a mixed affair?
"谁听说过这样一团乱糟糟的事情?
Every clue seems to slip through my fingers. I have been at work upon it all day."
每一条线索似乎都从我的手指中溜掉了。我一整天都在忙着搞这件事。"
"And very wet it seems to have made you," said Holmes, laying his hand upon the arm of the pea-jacket.
"看来把你搞得浑身都湿透了。"福尔摩斯说着,一只手搭在他那件粗呢上衣的胳膊上。
"Yes, I have been dragging the Serpentine."
"是的,我正在塞彭廷湖里打捞。"
"In heaven's name, what for?"
"天哪,那是为什么?"
"In search of the body of Lady St. Simon."
"寻找圣西蒙夫人的尸体。"
Sherlock Holmes leaned back in his chair and laughed heartily.
福尔摩斯仰身靠在椅子上,捧腹大笑起来。
"Have you dragged the basin of Trafalgar Square fountain?" he asked.
"你没有在特拉德尔加广场的喷水池里打捞吧?"他问道。
"Why? What do you mean?"
"唔,你这是什么意思?"
"Because you have just as good a chance of finding this lady in the one as in the other."
"因为在那里寻找这位夫人的机会和在另一处寻找的机会一样多。"