Mastering some hesitation, he answered, "Miss Oliver, I presume."
他打消了某种犹豫,回答说:“我想是奥利弗小姐。”
"Of course. And now, sir, to reward you for the accurate guess,
“当然。而现在,先生,为了奖励你猜得准,
I will promise to paint you a careful and faithful duplicate of this very picture,
我答应给我创作一幅精细准确的复制品,
provided you admit that the gift would be acceptable to you.
要是你答应这个礼物是可以接受的。
I don't wish to throw away my time and trouble on an offering you would deem worthless."
我不想把时间和精力化在一件你认为毫无价值的东西上。”
He continued to gaze at the picture: the longer he looked, the firmer he held it, the more he seemed to covet it.
他继续凝视着这张画。他看得越久就把画捧得越紧,同时也似乎越想看它。
"It is like!" he murmured;
“是很像!”他喃喃地说。
"the eye is well managed: the colour, light, expression, are perfect. It smiles!"
“眼睛画得很好。颜色、光线、表情都很完美。它微笑着!”
"Would it comfort, or would it wound you to have a similar painting?
“保存一张复制品会使你感到安慰呢,还是会伤你的心?
Tell me that. When you are at Madagascar, or at the Cape, or in India,
请你告诉我。当你在马达加斯加,或者好望角,或者印度,
would it be a consolation to have that memento in your possession?
在你的行囊中有这样的纪念品,对你是一种安慰呢,
or would the sight of it bring recollections calculated to enervate and distress?"
还是一看见就激起你令人丧气和难受的回忆?”
He now furtively raised his eyes: he glanced at me, irresolute, disturbed: he again surveyed the picture.
这时他偷偷地抬起眼来。他犹犹豫豫忐忑不安地看了我一眼,再次细看起这幅画来。
"That I should like to have it is certain: whether it would be judicious or wise is another question."
“我是肯定要的,不过这样做是不是审慎或明智,那就是另外一回事了。”