Hush! say nothing -- my heart is full of delight -- my senses are entranced -- let the time I marked pass in peace."
嘘!别张嘴!一—我欣喜万分——我神魂颠倒—让我平静地度过我所规定的时间。”
I humoured him: the watch ticked on: he breathed fast and low: I stood silent.
我满足了他。手表嘀嗒嘀嗒响着,他的呼吸时紧时慢,我默默地站着。
Amidst this hush the quartet sped;
在一片静谧中一刻钟过去了。
he replaced the watch, laid the picture down, rose, and stood on the hearth.
他拿起手表,放下画,立起来,站在壁炉边。
"Now," said he, "that little space was given to delirium and delusion.
“行啦,”他说,“在那一小段时间中我己沉溺于痴心妄想了。
I rested my temples on the breast of temptation, and put my neck voluntarily under her yoke of flowers.
我把脑袋靠在诱惑的胸口,心甘情愿地把脖子伸向她花一般的枷锁。
I tasted her cup.
我尝了她的酒杯,
The pillow was burning: there is an asp in the garland:
枕头还燃着火,花环里有一条毒蛇,
the wine has a bitter taste: her promises are hollow -- her offers false:
酒有苦味,她的允诺是空的——建议是假的。
I see and know all this."
这一切我都明白。”
I gazed at him in wonder.
我惊诧不己地瞪着他。
"It is strange," pursued he, "that while I love Rosamond Oliver so wildly --
“事情也怪,”他说下去,“我那么狂热地爱着罗莎蒙德.奥利弗——
with all the intensity, indeed, of a first passion, the object of which is exquisitely beautiful, graceful, fascinating --
说真的怀着初恋的全部热情,而恋上的对象绝对漂亮、优雅、迷人——
I experience at the same time a calm, unwarped consciousness that she would not make me a good wife;
与此同时我又有一种宁静而不偏不倚的感悟,觉得她不会当个好妻子,
that she is not the partner suited to me; that I should discover this within a year after marriage;
不是适合我的伴侣,婚后一年之内我便会发现。
and that to twelve months' rapture would succeed a lifetime of regret.
十二个月销魂似的日子之后,接踵而来的是终身遗憾。
This I know."
这我知道。”
"Strange indeed!" I could not help ejaculating.
“奇怪,真奇怪!”我禁不住叫了起来。
"While something in me," he went on, "is acutely sensible to her charms, something else is as deeply impressed with her defects:
“我内心的某一方面,”他说下去,对她的魅力深为敏感,但另一方面对她的缺陷,印象也很深。
they are such that she could sympathise in nothing I aspired to -- co-operate in nothing I undertook.
那就是她无法对我所追求的产生共鸣——不能为我所做的事业携手合作。