手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 那些你不知道的故事 > 正文

爱领养的孩子 从爱他们的头发开始

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

It's hard for kids to be in a family where your family is different.

对孩子来说,生活在一个和你(原来)的家庭不一样的家庭是很艰难的。

But it's especially hard to be in a family where your hair is not groomed.

生活在一个不给你梳头发的家庭就更难了。

Black hair is everything in our community and it's a huge part of our identity.

黑头发就是我们的一切,我们的身份有很大一部分都是我们的头发。

It's to be embraced as part of your kids' culture.

在他人眼里,头发也是你孩子的文化的一部分。

Sometimes transracial adoptive families don't understand how important the hair is.

有时,跨种族领养家庭并不知道头发的重要性。

It's much bigger than hair, it's really about the care and the confidence that we're giving to the child through the hairstyle.

头发的重要性远超过头发本身,它在于我们通过发型赋予孩子的爱和自信。

My name is Tamekia Swint and I am the executive director of Styles 4 Kidz.

我叫Tamekia Swint,是Styles 4 Kidz的执行董事。

Styles 4 Kidz is a nonprofit organization that provides haircare services,

我们是一家专门为跨种族收养家庭、混血家庭以及寄养家庭

education and resources for transracial adoptive families, biracial, and kids in foster care.

提供头发护理服务,教学指导及资源的非营利性机构。

I'm gonna wash your hair now, okay?

我现在要给你洗头了,好吗?

I've always loved my hair and I was inspired to start this organization because I met a transracial adoptive mom.

我一直很喜欢我的头发,之所以创办这个组织是因为我遇到了一位跨种族的养母。

She really just needed help.

当时她真的特别需要人帮她。

Now, watch my fingers here.

看我的手指。

She never had experience working with textured hair before, and the appearance of her girls were not good.

她从未有过处理鬈曲头发的经验,所以她女儿们的样子看起来就不太好。

I saw the genuine need not only for her, but for so many other moms who were adopting transracially.

我就发现,不止是她,还有很多跨种族领养的妈妈们实际都有这个需要。

There are now a lot of families in the african-american community or of other races who are adopting.

如今,无论是非裔还是其他人群都有很多家庭领养孩子。

So there does need to be more education about the hair,

所以,确实也需要有更多的人来给他们提供

and the cultural aspects of adopting a child with a different race.

有关领养其他种族的孩子会遇到的头发问题和文化问题的指导。

We've partnered with several adoption agencies in Chicago.

我们和芝加哥好几家领养机构都有合作。

They've expressed interest in having us come there and teach classes.

他们还挺有兴趣让我们过去给他们开课。

Why is hair a big deal?

头发为什么重要?

Who wants to say and get a stab at it?

谁想说一说,试一试呢?

You're gonna use your comb.

这个时候可以用梳子分。

I want you to practice this to get your parts more accurate here.

希望您能自己也学起来,用梳子分线能分得更准确一些。

There you go.

好啦。

We see between 50 and 100 families per month come into the salon or to our workshops.

一个月差不多有50~100个家庭来我们店或我们工作室。

3

We just gonna even it out, okay?

给它梳到头,好吗?

All over.

全部梳透。

We have helped over a thousand families with hair care services and education.

我们已经给1000多个家庭提供过头发护理服务和指导了。

I have six adopted kids.

我领养了6个孩子。

Three are Haitian and three are African American.

三个海地的三个非裔的。

Julia is my middle child.

朱莉娅排行中间。

She's eight years old, and she has a lot of hair.

她现在八岁了,头发那是真的多。

All right, kido.

好了,小家伙。

When my daughter was about three years old,

她差不多三岁的时候吧,

I realized that my hair styling skills were not up to the challenge.

我就感觉到我梳头的功夫已经满足不了需要了。

So I looked online and found Tamekia.

所以我就上网找了一下,结果就找到了塔玛基娅。

And she came to our house, and she gave us a whole hairstyling lesson.

她就来了一趟我们家,给我们上了一整堂发型课。

She showed me how to braid and took us to the store to pick out products for my daughter's hair texture.

教我怎么编辫子,还带我们去店里挑适合我女儿发质的产品。

At first, the biggest challenge is learning to part straight, had to learn that, oh use gel here, that helps, who knew.

起初,最大的挑战是学分线,你得知道,啊,这儿可以用点儿发胶,用发胶会好点,谁知道呢。

I would want to tell other transracial adoptive parents,

我想对其他跨种族领养的家长们说一句,

that it is your job to make your kid look decent when you're out of the house.

出门之前,把你孩子的头发收拾妥帖是你的职责。

And if you can't do that naturally on your own, and most of us can't,

如果你自己一个人搞不定,我们大部分人都这样,

then it's your job to seek out help from somebody who can teach you.

那你就应该去找个会的人教你。

What it does for the self-esteem and confidence of the kids is just unbelievable.

漂亮的发型对孩子的自尊心和自信心的影响之大你想都想不到。

It's amazing to see the transformation that takes place.

带来的那种转变简直就是惊喜。

And it is a blessing for me to be able to participate in the lives of the kids that I serve on a daily basis.

能够每天用这样的方式融入孩子们的生活是我的福气。

At the end of the day when I go home,

结束一天的工作,回到家的时候,

I feel like I truly made a difference in someone's life and that is beyond words.

我会觉得我真切地改变了他人的生活,那种心情用言语是无法形容的。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
genuine ['dʒenjuin]

想一想再看

adj. 真正的,真实的,真诚的

联想记忆
decent ['di:snt]

想一想再看

adj. 体面的,正派的,得体的,相当好的

联想记忆
identity [ai'dentiti]

想一想再看

n. 身份,一致,特征

 
transformation [.trænsfə'meiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 转型,转化,改造

联想记忆
blessing ['blesiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 祝福,祷告

 
texture ['tekstʃə]

想一想再看

n. (材料等的)结构,特点,表面,基本结构

 
executive [ig'zekjutiv]

想一想再看

adj. 行政的,决策的,经营的,[计算机]执行指令

 
textured ['tekstʃəd]

想一想再看

adj. 粗糙的,有织纹的

 
inspired [in'spaiəd]

想一想再看

adj. 有创见的,有灵感的

联想记忆
participate [pɑ:'tisipeit]

想一想再看

vt. 分享
vi. 参加,参与

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。