"What can you mean?
“你这话究竟什么意思呢?
It may be of no moment to you; you have sisters and don't care for a cousin;
对你可能无足轻重,你己经有妹妹,不在乎一个表妹。
but I had nobody; and now three relations, -- or two, if you don't choose to be counted, --
但我没有亲人,而这会儿三个亲戚——如果你不愿算在内,那就是两个——降生到我的世界来,
are born into my world full-grown.
已完全长大成人。
I say again, I am glad!"
我再说一遍,我很高兴!”
I walked fast through the room:
我快步穿过房间,
I stopped, half suffocated with the thoughts that rose faster than I could receive, comprehend, settle them: --
又停了下来,被接二连三涌进脑子,快得我无法接受、理解和梳理的想法,弄得差点喘不过气来——
thoughts of what might, could, would, and should be, and that ere long.
那就是我可以做什么,能够做什么,会做什么和应当做什么,以及要赶快做。
I looked at the blank wall: it seemed a sky thick with ascending stars, -- every one lit me to a purpose or delight.
我瞧着空空的墙,它仿佛是天空,密布着冉冉升起的星星——每一颗都照耀着我奔向一个目标或者一种欢乐。
Those who had saved my life, whom, till this hour, I had loved barrenly, I could now benefit.
那些救了我性命的人,直到如今我还毫无表示地爱着,现在我可以报答了。
They were under a yoke, -- I could free them: they were scattered, --
身披枷锁的,我可以使他们获得自由;东分西散的,
I could reunite them: the independence, the affluence which was mine, might be theirs too.
我可以让他们欢聚一堂。我的独立和富裕也可以变成是他们的
Were we not four?
我们不是一共四个吗?
Twenty thousand pounds shared equally would be five thousand each, justice -- enough and to spare: justice would be done, -- mutual happiness secured.
二万英镑平分,每人可得五千——不但足够,而且还有余。公平对待,彼此的幸福也就有了保障。
Now the wealth did not weigh on me: now it was not a mere bequest of coin, -- it was a legacy of life, hope, enjoyment.
此刻财富已不再是我的一种负担,不再只是钱币的遗赠——而是生命、希望和欢乐的遗产了。