and lastly, the two days preceding that on which your sisters are expected will be devoted by Hannah and me to such a beating of eggs,
最后,你妹妹们预计到达之前的两天,汉娜和我要大打其鸡蛋,
sorting of currants, grating of spices, compounding of Christmas cakes, chopping up of materials for mince-pies,
细拣葡萄干,研磨调料,做圣诞饼,
and solemnising of other culinary rites, as words can convey but an inadequate notion of to the uninitiated like you.
剁肉馅饼料子,隆重操持其他烹饪习俗。对你这样的门外汉,连语言也难以充分表达这番忙碌。
My purpose, in short, is to have all things in an absolutely perfect state of readiness for Diana and Mary before next Thursday;
总之,我的目的是下星期四黛安娜和玛丽到家之前,使一切都安排得妥妥贴贴。
and my ambition is to give them a beau-ideal of a welcome when they come."
我的雄心就是她们到时给予最理想的欢迎。”
St. John smiled slightly: still he was dissatisfied.
圣·约翰微微一笑,仍不满意。
"It is all very well for the present," said he;
“眼下说来这都不错,”他说,
"but seriously, I trust that when the first flush of vivacity is over, you will look a little higher than domestic endearments and household joys."
“不过认真地说,我相信第一阵快活的冲动过后,你的眼界不会局限于家人的亲热和家庭的欢乐。”
"The best things the world has!" I interrupted.
“人世间最好的东西,”我打断了他说。
"No, Jane, no: this world is not the scene of fruition;
“不,简,这个世界不是享乐的天地,
do not attempt to make it so: nor of rest; do not turn slothful."
别去想把它变成这样,或者变成休憩的乐园,不要懈怠懒惰。”
"I mean, on the contrary, to be busy."
“恰恰相反,我的意思是要大忙一番。”
"Jane, I excuse you for the present: two months' grace I allow you for the full enjoyment of your new position,
“简,我暂时谅解你,给你两个月的宽限,充分享受你新职位的乐趣,
and for pleasing yourself with this late-found charm of relationship;
也为最近找到亲戚而陶醉一番。
but then, I hope you will begin to look beyond Moor House and Morton,
但以后,我希望你开始把眼光放远些,不要光盯着沼泽居和莫尔顿,
and sisterly society, and the selfish calm and sensual comfort of civilised affluence.
盯着姐妹圈子,盯着自己的宁静,盯着文明富裕所带来的肉体享受。
I hope your energies will then once more trouble you with their strength."
我希望到那时你的充沛精力会再次让你不安。”
I looked at him with surprise.
我惊讶地看着他。
"St. John," I said,
“圣·约翰,”我说,
"I think you are almost wicked to talk so.
“我认为你这样说是近乎恶毒了。
I am disposed to be as content as a queen, and you try to stir me up to restlessness!
我本希望象女皇那样称心如意,而你却要弄得我不得安宁!
To what end?"
你安的什么心?”