"When we were taking coffee in the drawing-room that night after dinner, I told Arthur and Mary my experience,
"那天晚上我吃过晚饭在客厅里喝咖啡时,把这件事的经过讲给阿瑟和玛丽听,
and of the precious treasure which we had under our roof, suppressing only the name of my client.
并且告诉他们那件贵重的宝物现在就在屋子里,我只是把委托人的名字瞒着没提。
Lucy Parr, who had brought in the coffee, had, I am sure, left the room; but I cannot swear that the door was closed.
我肯定露茜·帕尔在端来咖啡以后就离开了房间,但是她出去时是否将门带上了,我就不敢肯定了。
Mary and Arthur were much interested and wished to see the famous coronet, but I thought it better not to disturb it.
玛丽和阿瑟听了很感兴趣,并想见识见识这顶著名的皇冠,但是我想还是别去动它为好。
'Where have you put it?' asked Arthur.
"'你把它放在哪里了?'阿瑟问道。
'In my own bureau.'
'在我自己的柜子里。'
'Well, I hope to goodness the house won't be burgled during the night,' said he.
'唔,但愿夜里不会被偷走才好。'他说。
'It is locked up,' I answered.
'柜子锁上了。'我回答说。
'Oh, any old key will fit that bureau. When I was a youngster I have opened it myself with the key of the box-room cupboard.'
'哎,那个柜子随便什么旧钥匙都能开的。我小时候亲自用厨房食品橱的钥匙开过它。'
He often had a wild way of talking, so that I thought little of what he said.
他常常说话轻率,所以他说些什么我是很少考虑的。
He followed me to my room, however, that night with a very grave face.
然而,那天晚上他跟着我来到我的房间里,脸色十分沉重。
'Look here, dad,' said he with his eyes cast down, 'can you let me have 200 pounds?'
'爹,'他垂着眼皮说,'你能不能给我二百英镑?'
'No, I cannot!' I answered sharply. 'I have been far too generous with you in money matters.'
'不,我不能!'我严厉地回答说,'在金钱方面我一向对你过于慷慨了!'
'You have been very kind,' said he, 'but I must have this money, or else I can never show my face inside the club again.'
'你向来极其仁慈,'他说,'但是我非得有这笔钱不可,否则,我就一辈子无颜再进那俱乐部了!'
'And a very good thing, too!' I cried.
'那再好不过了!'我嚷着。
'Yes, but you would not have me leave it a dishonoured man,' said he.
'是的。但是你不会让我不名誉地离开它吧,'他说。
'I could not bear the disgrace.
'那样丢脸我可忍受不了。
I must raise the money in some way, and if you will not let me have it, then I must try other means.'
我必须设法筹集这笔钱,如果你不肯给我,那我就得试试别的法子。'
I was very angry, for this was the third demand during the month.
我当时非常生气,因为这是这个月里他第三次问我要钱。
'You shall not have a farthing from me,' I cried, on which he bowed and left the room without another word."
'你别想从我这里得到一便士,'我大声说,于是他鞠了一躬,一言不发就离开了房间。"