"I scorn your idea of love,"
“我瞧不起你的爱情观,”
I could not help saying, as I rose up and stood before him, leaning my back against the rock.
我不由自主地说,一面立起来,背靠岩石站在他面前。
"I scorn the counterfeit sentiment you offer: yes, St. John, and I scorn you when you offer it."
“我瞧不起你所献的虚情假意,是的,圣·约翰,你那么做的时候,我就瞧不起你了。”
He looked at me fixedly, compressing his well-cut lips while he did so.
他眼睛盯着我,一面紧抿着有棱角的嘴唇。
Whether he was incensed or surprised, or what, it was not easy to tell: he could command his countenance thoroughly.
他究竟是被激怒了,还是感到吃惊,或是其他等等,很不容易判断。他完全能驾驭自己的面部表情。
"I scarcely expected to hear that expression from you," he said:
我几乎没有料到会从你那儿听到这样的话,”他说,
"I think I have done and uttered nothing to deserve scorn."
“我认为我并没有做过和说过让你瞧不起的事情。”
I was touched by his gentle tone, and overawed by his high, calm mien.
我被他温和的语调所打动,也被他傲慢镇定的神态所震慑。
"Forgive me the words, St. John;
“原谅我的话吧,圣·约翰。
but it is your own fault that I have been roused to speak so unguardedly.
不过这是你自己的过错,把我激得说话毫无顾忌了。
You have introduced a topic on which our natures are at variance -- a topic we should never discuss:
你谈起了一个我们两个水火不容的话题——一个我们决不应该讨论的话题。
the very name of love is an apple of discord between us.
爱情这两个字本身就会挑起我们之间的争端——
If the reality were required, what should we do?
要是从实际出发,我们该怎么办呢?
How should we feel?
我们该怎么感觉?
My dear cousin, abandon your scheme of marriage -- forget it."
我的亲爱的表兄,放弃你那套结婚计划吧——忘掉它。”
"No," said he; "it is a long-cherished scheme, and the only one which can secure my great end:
“不,”他说,“这是一个久经酝酿的计划,而且是唯一能使我实现我伟大目标的计划。
but I shall urge you no further at present.
不过现在我不想再劝你了。