Reader, do you know, as I do, what terror those cold people can put into the ice of their questions?
读者呀,你可像我一样知道,这些冷酷的人能赋予他们冰一般的问题什么样的恐怖吗?
How much of the fall of the avalanche is in their anger?
知道他们一动怒多么像雪崩吗?
of the breaking up of the frozen sea in their displeasure?
一不高兴多么像冰海暴裂吗?
"No. St. John, I will not marry you.
“不,圣,约翰,我不嫁你,
I adhere to my resolution."
并坚持自己的决定。”
The avalanche had shaken and slid a little forward, but it did not yet crash down.
崩裂的冰雪抖动着往前滑了一下,但还没有塌下来。
"Once more, why this refusal?" he asked.
“再说一遍,为什么拒绝?”他问。
"Formerly," I answered,
“以前我回答过了,
"because you did not love me; now, I reply, because you almost hate me.
因为你不爱我。现在我回答。因为你差不多恨我。
If I were to marry you, you would kill me.
要是我跟你结婚,你会要我的命,
You are killing me now."
现在就要我的命了。”
His lips and cheeks turned white -- quite white.
他的嘴唇和脸硕顿时刷白——很白很白。
"I should kill you -- I am killing you?
“我会要你的命——我现在就在要你的命?
Your words are such as ought not to be used: violent, unfeminine, and untrue.
你这些话很凶也不真实,不象女人说的。你根本就不应该这么说。
They betray an unfortunate state of mind: they merit severe reproof:
这些话暴露了心灵的一种不幸状态,应当严受责备,
they would seem inexcusable, but that it is the duty of man to forgive his fellow even until seventy-and-seven times."
而且是不可宽恕的。但是人的职责是宽恕他的同胞,即使是宽恕他七十七次。”