That night, after he had kissed his sisters, he thought proper to forget even to shake hands with me, but left the room in silence.
那天晚上,他吻了妹妹们以后,认为忘掉同我握手比较妥当,便默默地离开了房间,
I -- who, though I had no love, had much friendship for him -- was hurt by the marked omission:
我尽管对他没有爱情,却有深厚的友谊,被他这种明显的冷落刺伤了心,
so much hurt that tears started to my eyes.
我心里难受得连泪水都涌上了眼睛。
"I see you and St. John have been quarrelling, Jane," said Diana, "during your walk on the moor.
“我看得出来,你们在荒原上散步时,你和圣·约翰吵过了,简,”黛安娜说,
But go after him; he is now lingering in the passage expecting you -- he will make it up."
“可是,跟上他吧,他在过道里走来走去,盼着你呢——他会和好的。”
I have not much pride under such circumstances:
这种情况下我没有多大的自尊。
I would always rather be happy than dignified; and I ran after him -- he stood at the foot of the stairs.
与其保持尊严,总还不如保持心境愉快,我跟在他后面跑过去——他在楼梯跟前站住了。
"Good-night, St. John," said I.
“晚安,圣·约翰,”我说。
"Good-night, Jane," he replied calmly.
“晚安,简,”他镇定地回答。
"Then shake hands," I added.
“那么握握手吧,”我加了一句。
What a cold, loose touch, he impressed on my fingers!
他的手触碰我的手指时是多么冷,多么松弛呀!
He was deeply displeased by what had occurred that day; cordiality would not warm, nor tears move him.
他对那天发生的事情很不高兴。热诚已无法使他温暖,眼泪也不能打动他了。
No happy reconciliation was to be had with him -- no cheering smile or generous word:
同他已不可能达成愉快的和解——他没有激励人的笑容,也没有慷慨大度的话语。
but still the Christian was patient and placid;
可是这位基督徒依然耐心而平静。
and when I asked him if he forgave me, he answered that he was not in the habit of cherishing the remembrance of vexation;
我问他是否原谅我时,他说没有记恨的习惯,
that he had nothing to forgive, not having been offended.
也没有什么需要原谅,因为压根儿就没有被冒犯过。
And with that answer he left me.
他那么回答了以后,便离开了我。
I would much rather he had knocked me down.
我宁愿被他打倒在地。