Hello! I'm Emma from mmmEnglish
大家好,我是Emma,欢迎来到Emma的美味英语。
and in this lesson I found an American all the way down here in Australia
在本节课程中,我请来了从美国远道而来的客人,
and I thought that I'd use him to show you some of the pronunciation differences between Australian English and American English.
我觉得得好好利用他一下,给大家展示澳大利亚英语和美式英语之间的区别。
You don't mind if I use you, Allan?
我这么利用你,你没关系吧,阿伦?
Use away!
随便用!
How long have you been in Australia Allan?
你在澳大利亚多久了,艾伦?
Two weeks now.
目前两个星期了。
Two weeks!
两个星期!
And what do you think of it so far?
到目前为止你觉得怎么样?
It's beautiful.
它很漂亮。
Yeah.
是啊。
Actually this is our first rainy day but for most days it's been really, really nice out here in the west side.
其实这是我来了之后第一次下雨,但是大多数情况下天气都挺好的,西海岸的天气真的超棒。
Rainy days are good for filming actually!
其实下雨的天气很适合拍摄呢!
Oh! That's good, perfect day.
哦!那是美好的一天。
Hey, what's one weird thing that Australians say?
澳大利亚人说的那些带俚语的表达都蛮奇怪的。
Australians say a lot of weird things with slang words.
澳大利亚人说的那些带俚语的表达都蛮奇怪的。
What kinds of things have you heard that have kind of just ‘weirded' you out?
你听了之后感到超级奇怪的表达有什么呢?
Maybe if someone said, you know, “go to the boot and get some bush chooks and we'll crack a tinnie.”
可能是有人说,你懂得“去找靴子,拿点灌木鸡,我们开瓶啤酒。”
And you're like, “I have no idea what you're talking about!”
但是我根本就不知道你在说什么东西啊!
Nobody knows what you're talking about!
没人知道你在说什么!
What he actually said was, can you go to the car – the back of the car – open it, get out a can of beer and open the beer.
他说的其实是“你可以打开车的后备箱,拿出一罐啤酒然后打开么。”
Drink it.
喝吧。
So we can drink the beer.
一饮而尽。
Boot is actually not that weird, that's just, you know, you have a different name in America, right?
“Boot”这个词其实没那么奇怪,只是在美国说法不一样,对吧?
We just call it a trunk.
我们就叫它后备箱。
A trunk.
后备箱。
The back of a car in America is called a trunk but here in Australia and in the UK too it's boot.
汽车的后备箱在美国被称为trunk,但在澳大利亚和英国都被称为boot。
Yes.
对。
You also say some really weird things actually, this morning you said to me “I'm going to go and pet that horse out there.”
其实你也会说一些奇怪的表达,比如说今天早晨你和我说“我要去抚摸一下那边的马”,
and I was like “what?”
我当时就想“什么鬼?”,
because pet is just like an animal in Australia, like a dog or a cat.
因为“pet”在澳大利亚指的就是小动物,比如说狗狗或者猫咪。
Right, right.
对,对。
But you're using it as a verb like you would – like we say pat, pat the animal – and you say pet.
但是你把这个词用作动词,比如说我们说“抚摸动物”用的是“pat”,而你说的是“pet”。
YYeah, yeah pet. Yeah. Pet the animal.
是的,是“pet”。是的,抚摸动物。
But my point is that even native English speakers have, you know,
但是我的重点是即便是英语母语者,
sometimes we have words or even pronunciation that we don't quite understand about each other and you have to sort of piece the puzzle together
有时候我们也不理解对方说的一些单词或者是表达,你得把那些谜团给拼凑起来,
and that's definitely what we've been doing the last few days, right?
我们过去几天一直在那么做,是吧?
Since I met you. Definitely.
从我遇到你那天开始。确实是。
Piecing it together.
拼凑在一起。
Yeah right, piecing it together.
是的,拼在一起。
Figuring it out.
搞清楚。
I'm going to, I've got some words actually written down here that I want to, I want to test your pronunciation on
我这里写了一些单词想用来测试一下你的发音,
because I think that the way you say these words is quite different to the way that we say them here in Australia.
因为我觉得你说这些单词的方式和我们在澳大利亚说它们的方式完全不一样。
So I want to test that out and I want to demonstrate to you guys what that actually, what it looks like or what it sounds like.
我想测试一下,也给大家看这些单词看起来听起来到底是怎么样的。
The different – the difference between the American accent and the Australian accent.
美式口音和澳大利亚口音之间的区别。
So the first one is this one, Allan.
这是第一个,阿伦。
How do you say this?
你会怎么念这个单词呢?
That's ‘hot'.
热。
Hot.
热。
Hot.
热。
OK, so we would say hot.
好的,我们说的是热。
So more like oh rather than ah.
更像是“oh”的音,而不是“ah”的音。
Yeah so it's a little bit different – that's an easy one to start with.
是的,有点点不同,这个单词比较简单。
What about this one?
这个呢?
Going to be very different. We say car.
肯定非常不一样。我们说的是“汽车”。
This one, car.
汽车。
Car.
汽车。
Car.
汽车。
So the main difference there is that Allan pronounces the ‘r' at the end of this word.
所以主要的区别是艾伦在这个词的结尾发“r”。
You say car.
你说的是“汽车”。
We use the ‘r', yes.
我们会发“r”音,是的。
And we just dropped that ‘r' sound, it's kind of silent, it's just ah.
我们把“r”音给省略了,这个音不发。就只是“ah”而已。
Car.
汽车。
Yeah! That's like, that's proper Australian accent.
是的!那是地道的澳大利亚口音。
Car.
汽车。
All right, what about this one?
好吧,这个怎么呢?
Bottle.
瓶子。
Bottle.
瓶子。
Bottle.
瓶子。
Now the way that I say bottle is – with T's.
我说瓶子的方式是——会把T给发出来。
Yeah but it's not, actually, lots of Australians have the same pronunciation of these two T's like, like you do and often I say bottle as well.
是的,但是其实很多澳大利亚人这两个T的发音是一样的,就像你刚才发的那样,我有时候也会说“瓶子”。
So you, instead of pronouncing that T, it's like a ‘d' sound, like a lazy D sound. Bottle.
发的不是“t”的音,而是“d”的音,懒懒的“d”音,瓶子。
Yeah.
是的。
Bottle.
瓶子。
Bottle.
瓶子。
Yeah that's pretty good, it's pretty close.
是的,很好很好,很接近了。
But that's one similarity between the Australian accent and the American accent
但是澳大利亚口音和美式口音有一个相似之处,
is this double T or even just a single T in the middle of words like a bottle of water.
那就是单词中间两个t或者只有一个t的时候,就像一瓶水。是的,比如说来自于英国的人就会说一瓶水——当然他们的发音比我好。
A bottle of water.
一瓶水
Yeah, like someone from the UK would say a bottle of water – in a better accent than me.
是的,比如说来自于英国的人就会说一瓶水——当然他们的发音比我好。
OK, how about this one?
好的,那这个呢?
Burger.
汉堡。
I think the way he says this is hilarious!
我觉得他发音的方式超级好笑!
We say burger but you pronounce this ‘u' in a different way.
我们说的是汉堡,但是你发“u”的方式非常不一样。
Burger.
汉堡。
Yes.
是的。
Bur-burger. Burger.
汉—汉堡。汉堡。
And I just say burger. OK!
我说的是汉堡。好的!
Sometimes we'd drop the ‘a' there, we'll say garage.
有时候我们会省略“a”,我们会说“车库”。
Garage? Oh, like that's really, really soft.
车库?哦,这个真的听起来很温柔呢。
Yeah, sometimes it's garage or sometimes it's just garage.
是的,有时候是“车库”,有时候就只是“车库”。
So the main difference between the American and the Australian or the UK British accent pronunciation of this word
美式英语和澳大利亚英语或者是英式英语在这个单词上发音的主要区别
is that we would put the stress on the first syllable and we would say ga-rage, garage.
就是我们会把重音放在第一个音节上,我们说的是车库,车库。
And you would say garage, so the stress pattern is different for this word.
你说的是“车库”,所以这个单词的重音结构完全不同。
Garage. Garage.
车库。车库。
OK.
好的。
Bought.
买。
That is not how you say that!
你不是这么说的!
Bought. Yes.
买。是的。
Bought.
买。
It's pretty similar.
非常相似!
Bought. Bought.
买。买。
Yeah it's pretty similar. Bought.
是的,很相似。买。
What about this one, then? Daughter.
那这个呢?女儿。
Daughter. Daughter.
女儿。女儿。
Daughter or daughter. That's another good example of that ‘t'. Daughter.
女儿或者是女儿。那是“t”的另一个例子。女儿。
How about this one? Aunt.
那这个呢?阿姨。
Or aunt.
或者是阿姨。
But it's mostly, I think you hear people say aunt more. Aunt.
但是大多数情况下,你会听到大家说“阿姨”更多。阿姨。
We say aunt. Aunt. My auntie. Do you say auntie?
我们说的是阿姨。阿姨。我的阿姨。你会说阿姨吗?
No, we just say aunt. We don't really use auntie as much.
不,我们只说阿姨。我们不怎么说阿姨。
OK so that's quite difference! Aunt and aunt.
好的,真的很不一样!阿姨和阿姨。