But before I made my mark at LSU, my family and I would leave West Germany and moved to San Antonio, Texas, where I would attend high school.
但在我在路易斯安那州立大学成名之前,我和家人离开了西德,搬到了德克萨斯州的圣安东尼奥,我在那里上的高中。
It was here where I was given my first nickname, coach Joel Smith and Dave Madura would lovingly refer to me as "Big Ole Sum Bitch."
就是在那里,我得到了自己的第一个绰号,乔尔·史密斯教练和戴夫·马都拉会亲切地称我为“大傻蛋”。
They would find... True story.
他们会...这是真事。
They would find unique and wonderful ways to express their love.
他们会用独特而美妙的方式来表达他们的爱。
For example, "Coach, I need some shoes."
比如说,“教练,我需要一双球鞋。”
"I can't afford a size 18, you Big Ole Sum Bitch."
“我可买不起18码的,你个大傻蛋。”
"Coach, what time is the game?"
“教练,比赛是什么时候?”
"I don't know. But your Big Ole Sum Bitch, you'd better get 40 points in 22 rebounds."
“我不知道。但是你个大傻蛋,你最好给我拿下40分、22个篮板。”
And when we won the State title in 1989, with an impressive 36-0 record,
1989年,当我们以36胜0负的成绩赢得州冠军时,
they both called me and say, "You Big Ole Sum Bitch, we love you. I knew you can do it, Big Ole Sum Bitch."
他们都对我说:“你个大傻蛋,我们爱死你了。我们知道你能做到的,你个大傻蛋。”
Actually thought my name was Big Ole Sum Bitch.
别人还真以为我叫“大傻蛋”呢。
I could rememver one time the announcer said, "7'1", from San Antonio, Texas, Shaquille O'Neal, that's Big Ole Sum Bitch."
我还记得有一次,播音员是这么说的:“接下来入场的是,身高7英尺1英寸、来自德克萨斯圣安东尼奥的沙奎尔·奥尼尔!也就是大傻蛋。”
It's a Big Ole Sum Bitch right there.
真是一个大傻蛋。
Excuse my language, children.
孩子们,请原谅我的用语。
It's also here where I realized that cliche is true: there is no "I" in team.
也正是在那里,我意识到这句老话是正确的:团队中没有“我”。
Couldn't done it without Doug and Dan Sandburg, Joe Cavallero, Darren Mathey, Rob Dunn, Eric Baker, Dwayne Cyrus, just to name a few.
没有道格和丹·桑德伯格、乔·卡瓦列罗、达伦·马西、罗伯·邓恩、埃里克·贝克、德韦恩·塞勒斯,还有其他人,我们是做不到的。
And then it was time for college. And as I mentioned before, I didn't choose LSU. LSU chose me.
然后就到了我的大学期间。正如我之前提到的,我没有选择路易斯安那州立大学。是路易斯安那州立大学选择了我。
There was no way I was letting down coach Brown.
我绝不会让布朗教练失望。
But once again, it was time to eat a big slice of humble pie.
但又是需要低调谦卑的时候了。
As I played behind two of the greatest players ever to grace LSU history, Chris Jackson, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, and Stanley Roberts.
我曾经和两位路易斯安那州立大学历史上最伟大的球员并肩作战,他们是克里斯·杰克逊(马哈茂德·阿卜杜勒-拉夫)和斯坦利·罗伯茨。
These guys set the bar high, I knew what I had to do to get to their level.
他们把标准定得很高,我也就明白了我要做什么,才能达到他们的水平。
It's funny, but one of my motivations was to hear what Dick Vitale would have to say about me.
很有趣,但我的动力来源之一,就是想听听迪克·维塔勒会怎么评价我。
And that day would happen, December 1990, LSU versus Arizona, Dick Vitale comes in the locker room and gives a scintillating speech.
那是在1990年的12月,路易斯安那州立大学对阵亚利桑那,迪克·维塔勒走进更衣室,发表了一场精彩的演讲。
I don't know what scintillating mean, he uses it, so I may use it.
我不知道scintillating是什么意思,他用了,所以我也用一下吧。
Versus Arizona, gives us a speech, and then he pulled me to the side and said,
对亚利桑那,他给我们做了一次演讲,然后他把我拉到一边说:
"Shaq, they got Chris Mills. They got Brian Williams. They got Shawn Rooks. You might not win but have a good game."
“沙克,他们阵中有克里斯·米尔斯,有布莱恩·威廉姆斯,有肖恩·卢克斯。你们赢不了的,但是好好享受这场比赛吧。”
And in my mind I'm saying to myself, "Thanks, Dick."
在我心里,我想的是:“谢谢你,迪克。”
Thanks a lot, Dick. But it was at that moment where I realized I could create my own destiny.
十分感谢,迪克。但也就是在那一刻,我意识到我可以创造属于自己的命运。
And thanks to Mr. Vitale, I ended up with 28 points, 19 rebounds,
多亏了维塔勒先生,我得到了28分,19个篮板,
and I don't think he realized how much he motivated me and pissed me off at the same time.
我想他没有意识到,他在激励我的同时也惹怒了我。
I do want to thank the people in Louisiana, Mr. and Mrs Mariette, Tony and Dane, Gino's, my favorite restaurant, Webb's Barbershop.
我要感谢路易斯安那州的人们:玛丽埃特先生和夫人,托尼和戴恩,我最喜欢的餐厅吉诺餐厅,还有韦伯理发店。
Because I heard these guys say that, "When Shaquille O'Neal decides to leave LSU, he will be the number one pick."
因为我听到这些人说:“当沙奎尔·奥尼尔决定离开路易斯安那州立大学时,他就会是状元秀。”
They made me comfortable and try my luck in the NBA.
是他们让我感到很舒服,决定在NBA中闯荡一番。