But breaking down barriers isn't always records.
但是打破障碍并不总是破记录。
In [2021], like most of you, I sat around the television because I knew this was a moment.
在2021年,像大多数在座的各位一样,我坐在电视机前,因为我知道该是时候了。
I sat my daughter front and center.
我让我女儿坐在我的正前方。
I said, "Lailaa, watch this.
我对她说:“Lailaa,看看这个。
The first African-American Asian Vice President was being sworn in.
这是第一次有非裔和亚裔血统的美国副总统宣誓就职。
This is a moment that you might not appreciate now.
你可能尚不明白此刻的重要性。
But in time you will."
但是迟早你会明白的。”
And as Kamala Harris was being sworn in, I said, "Lailaa, now look at her. Now you can do that too."
当卡马拉·哈里斯宣誓就职我对着女儿说:“Lailaa,现在快看看她,现在你也可以像她那样了。”
And Lailaa looked at me.
Lailaa看向我。
She looked through my eyes, and she said, "Why couldn't I before?"
看着我的眼睛问道:“为什么我之前不行?”
Suddenly, I felt this big because I had become what I despised the most in this world.
我突然觉得这很严重,因为我成了这个世界上我最鄙视的人。
I had put her in a box because you see, the story that the world told me was women aren't Vice Presidents.
我把女儿放进世界的差异盒子中,因为你看,这个世界告诉我:女人是不可以成为副总统的。
And I had assumed that that's what they had told my daughter.
我假设这个世界已经告诉我女儿了。
I'm telling you, Generation Z, my daughter's generation, they're changing the world, they're changing the world through conversation,
我告诉你们,Z时代的孩子们—— 也是我女儿的时代——他们在改变这个世界,他们通过沟通来改变这个世界,
through unity and through living as though boxes and barriers don't exist.
通过团结、通过生活方式,仿佛那些盒子和障碍不存在。
It's no longer enough to just put your head down. Get the job. Accomplish the feat.
埋头苦干,找份工作,功成名就是不够的。
We have to unite, to come together, to figure out why barriers are there in the first place.
我们必须团结一致先弄清楚为什么会有障碍。
And Generation Z is doing that.
这就是 Z 时代在做事情。
They're listening.
他们在倾听。
They're seeing both sides.
他们能看到双面。
And they're uniting for causes that don't directly impact them.
他们结合那些没有办法直接影响到他们的原因。
We have entire sports leagues that are standing up for what they believe in.
我们整个体育联盟,为所信挺身而出。
It's no longer just one athlete.
不再是一个运动员单打独斗。
We have men that are fighting for women to receive equal pay.
我们有为女人争取平等工资的男人。
We have white allies that are protesting racial inequalities.
我们有白人伙伴一起反对种族不平等。
We are talking about mental health.
我们现在讲的是心理健康。
And you know what's so special?
你知道为什么这么特殊重要吗?
My daughter the other week came up and handed me a list of stores that we're not allowed to shop at anymore.
前几周,我女儿走过来,递给我一张清单,上面列着我们以后再也不能去的商店。
I'm like, "Lailaa, like, another lesson, like, already?"
我说:“Lailaa,这又给我上了一课?”
She's like, "Mom, we're not allowed to shop at these stores because they're not body positive and body conscious towards all shapes and sizes."
她说道:“妈妈,我们不能再去那些商店了,因为它们没有对各个身材和尺码的正向意识和想法。”
And you know what, I'm listening, I'll be honest, and I'm learning, and you should, too, because my optimism lies in the next.
你们知道吗?我在倾听,说实话,我在学习,你们也应该这样,因为我们对未来很乐观。
That they will take our obstacles, our struggles, our insecurities, our challenges and not see them as obstacles, but as opportunities.
他们会把我们所面对的障碍、斗争、不安全感、挑战不视它们为障碍,而视为机遇。
Or they may not even acknowledge them at all.
甚至完全无视它们。
I'm proud because Generation Z are proud, bold, and they're themselves.
我对此很骄傲,因为Z时代是傲气的、大胆的,他们就是他们自己。
Because those ...that were told that they can't their entire life are having kids that are making us believe that we can.
因为那些被告知他们不能做的人已经有孩子了,孩子们正在让我们相信我们能。
So go ahead, ask me if I play basketball, and I'll proudly say, "Yes."
所以尽管问我是否打篮球,我会很自豪地说:“当然”。
Because I realize I was the one putting basketball in a box all along.
因为我认识到自始自终我是把篮球放进了差异盒子的那个人。
Thank you so much for this opportunity.
非常感谢给予我这次机会。