You know, everywhere in the world, the question inevitably comes up:
不管在哪,人们看到我就会问我:
"Do you play basketball?"
“你会打篮球吗?”
From the neighbor across the street —
邻居看到我,也会问道:你打篮球吗?
"Hey, do you hoop? — to the five-foot-seven guy at TSA PreCheck —
喂,你会和快速安检只有5英尺7英寸(约一米七)的人打篮球吗?
that swore that he could beat me one on one."
我发誓他肯定可以一对一将你打败。
I despise fitting into the lane or the mold that this question insinuates.
我很鄙夷这些问题中所暗示着对我的刻板印象。
But I reluctantly say, "Yes. I am a two-time NCAA champion."
但我会无所谓的回答道:对对,我曾赢过两次美国大学联盟竞标赛冠军。
A two-time gold medalist and a two-time — A two-time WNBA champion.
得了两次金牌,和两次美国女子职业篮球联赛冠军。
But inside I scream, "I am so much more."
但是我内心在呼喊:“我远不止这些。”
You see, barrier breaking is about not staying in your lane and not being something that the world expects you to be.
你看,打破障碍是做新的尝试,不要成为世界认定你将成为的样子。
It's about not accepting limitations.
是不接受限制。
It starts with inspiration, and it's a foundation built upon picking apart what everybody thinks is the right way to do things.
从灵感开始,它是建立在对每个人认为正确的做事方式进行剖析的基础上的。
There are so many barrier breakers in here that are fighting so hard to unlock doors that they may never walk through,
在场有太多打破障碍的人了,他们如此努力去斩荆披棘、开辟新路。
but they do it anyway because we're standing on the shoulders of those that did it for us.
但是他们还是去勇往直前、无所畏惧,我们站在那些披荆斩棘的前人肩膀上。
It's an uphill battle, and it doesn't guarantee big wins or lots of success.
这是一场艰难的战争,不保证我们可以旗开得胜或者在许多战役获胜。
And throughout that uphill battle, I think all of us look for hope, right?
通过这场艰难的战争,我认为我们都在寻找希望,是吗?
We all look for optimism.
所有人都在寻找积极的一面。
And mine is my daughter and this next generation.
我的女儿,我的下一代。
You see, I get to be the mom to an amazing 12-year-old daughter.
我是一位出色的12岁女孩的母亲。
Yes, I know. I am partial.
对,我知道说这话是有些偏袒。
But she's pretty dope.
但是她是一个超级酷的女孩。
I've been fortunate enough to travel the world with her while she allows her mom to fight for her dreams.
我很幸能运和她一起去环球旅行,而她也允许让我一起去追逐她的梦想。
We've played in Russia, and I say we because she really does think she's part of the team.
我们去俄罗斯打过球,我会用“我们”来形容,因为她确实认为她是团队的一份子。
We played in Russia, Turkey, China.
我们去了俄罗斯、土耳其和中国打球。
And throughout that journey, I thought I would be the one teaching her, challenging her, being the example for her.
在整个旅途过程中,我认为我是那个会教授她的人,考验她并且成为她的榜样。
But I've realized it's a two-way street.
但是我意识到这是双向的。
You see, at three years old, I decided to enroll her in school in Russia.
在我女儿三岁的时候,我决定让她去俄罗斯上学。
I was like, I wanted her to have a normal life, right?
我当时想让她有个正常的生活,没错吧?
I want her to be able to meet kids her age.
我想让她结交同龄人。
So at three, she befriended this little girl.
在三岁的时候,她和一个小女孩成为了朋友。
Her name was Masha.
她的名字叫做Masha。
Masha didn't speak any English.
Masha完全不会讲英语。
Lailaa barely spoke Russian, but her parents invited us over to their house.
Lailaa也只会说一点俄语,但是Masha的父母邀请我们去拜访他们家。
And so we went. We went for this playdate.
我们答应了,约定了个时间。
So we knock on the door, and Masha's parents open the door so graciously and welcome us into their home.
我们在门外敲门后,Masha的父母和蔼地打开了门,欢迎我们到访。
And we step forward, and I realize there's no floor.
我们走进去后,发现房间里没有地板。
It's a modest home.
这是一个简陋的房子。
It's one room with a couch on the side that pulls out into the bed that they sleep on.
只有一个房间,只有一个靠边的沙发,把沙发拉出来就变成他们可以睡觉的床了。
There's a wood fire oven in the middle that heats the room and that they cook with.
木炉就在屋内的中间,温暖着整个房间,并用木炉来烧饭。
And at three years old, I was concerned.
我很担心我女儿,她毕竟就只有三岁。
So I go to grab Lailaa, but I was too late.
我想抓住Lailaa,但是为时已晚。
She looked in the corner and she said, "A dollhouse!"
她看向角落,说道:玩具屋!
And Masha and Lailaa ran to the corner to play with the dollhouse.
随后Masha和Lailaa就跑到角落去玩玩具屋了。
I'm so proud that that's my kid, and I can't say that I had much to do with that.
我真为我的孩子骄傲,我不能说是我的教育的原因。
She has a way of like uniting people, finding commonality, of rolling with the punches, of making the best of situations.
她总是有办法让人欢聚一堂,找到共同之处,以柔克刚克服重重难关并且迅速救场。
I've always wanted to uplift her, because the messaging that I received from home was never shrink yourself to fit into this world,
我总是想激励、鼓舞她,因为我在家接受的教育是从不迎合世界,
that you're enough, that everyone is enough, but you need to be individually you all the time.
你是完美的,其他人也在闪闪发光,但是你总是要保持自我。