I was fortunate to grow up in an environment with my parents and my two brothers who empowered me every single day.
我很幸运生长在一个每天有父母和两个兄弟赋予我力量的家庭。
They told me I can do anything I set my mind to, so much so that my nickname was "Can Do."
他们告诉我:只要下定决心,我可以做任何事情。
And it was later extended by my brothers to "Can Do Anything And Get Away With It."
以至于我的绰号就是“就是干”,我的两个兄弟随后也是,“所向披靡并且解决问题”。
I was the baby of the family.
我是整个家庭中的老幺。
Yes, I was the baby, and I didn't lack confidence.
是的,我是家里最小的那一个,但是我很自信。
If I wasn't kicking the ball out of the recess school parking lot in a dress, to my moms despise, or high, high in the trees.
下课时间我要么穿着裙子在学校的停车场踢球——我妈妈很鄙夷我这个行为——要么爬到高高的树上。
I loved to compete.
我喜欢比赛。
At everything, not just in sports, either.
不仅仅是在运动中,是所有可以让我比赛的事。
This one time my teacher in elementary school, he said, "I want to know who can learn the helping verb song the fastest."
一位我的小学老师曾说:我想知道谁可以最快学好助动词的歌曲。
I love to compete. I was that kid. I was that kid.
我喜欢比赛,我就是那个最先唱出来的孩子。
But what I loved so much was that I was allowed to be me.
我最爱的是,我被允许做我自己。
I was allowed to compete.
我被允许去竞赛。
I was allowed to speak my mind.
我被允许说出自己的观点。
My parents encouraged that.
我的父母鼓励我这么做。
Just because you're a girl, you don't have to stay in a certain lane.
不必因为你是女孩就必须得要遵照某一模式。
And then something happened in 1997.
在1997年发生了一件事。
The women's professional basketball league started.
女子专业篮球赛开始了。
The WNBA had its inaugural season when I was 11 years old, and I saw people that looked like me playing the game that I loved so much.
在我11岁的时候,美国女子职业篮球联赛开始了首季的比赛,我看到像我一样的人在玩我非常喜欢的球赛。
I no longer had to go out in the driveway and try to dunk like Michael Jordan.
我无需在车道打篮球,假装像迈克尔·乔丹一样扣篮。
I could go out and get buckets like Cynthia Cooper.
我可以像辛西娅·库珀那样进球。
You see, my parents encouraged sports because sports in their eyes was a microcosm of life.
我的父母鼓励我去玩运动,因为运动在他们的眼里是生活的缩影。
You learn to win. You learn to lose.
你要学习去赢,你也要学会去输。
You learn to work through obstacles.
你要学习打破障碍。
You learn to get up when you don't want to.
当你力不从心的时候,也要学会站起来。
You learn to value differences, because those are important.
你要学会珍惜差异,因为这是非常重要的一点。
But as I ventured out into the world, I realized, like, the world wasn't so uplifting towards differences, right?
但当我冒险踏入现实世界,我意识到:这个世界对差异并不那么乐观,对吧?
The world had a way of ... putting differences in a box.
这个世界有一种把差异放进一个盒子里的方法。
For instance, I received my girls basketball uniform in middle school.
打个比方:我在中学收到了我的女子篮球服。
It was old and smelly and tight.
这件篮球服破旧、难闻而且还是紧身的。
The boys got brand new ones.
但是男孩子们却可以拿到崭新的篮球服。
My brother worked his butt off to get into one of the most prestigious medical schools in the country.
我的兄弟努力学习,进入国家最知名的医学院之一。
My family was so proud.
我的家人对此感到非常骄傲。
We heard the whispers: they said, "Quotas."
这时我们听到一阵喃喃声:他们说“保障名额”。
The world had a way of just putting differences in a box and then getting mad when we had the audacity to not fit.
这个世界有一种把差异放进一个盒子里的方法,还恼怒我们不遵守。
Just as an individual, you get mad at me for not fitting in the box that you made.
我们只想成为个体,世界对我恼怒是因为,我不融入其创造的那个盒子中。
There was a time that went by where ...I didn't want to say yes to the basketball question.
有一段时间我不想回答篮球的问题。
Because if I checked that box, then I checked all of their other assumptions, right?
因为如果我勾选了那个盒子我就也勾选了别人的臆断,对吧?
So competitive juices kicked in.
这样对于竞争的激情就喷发而出。
I'll show you, I'll show you. I'm going to be the best.
我会展示给你看我最好的一面。
Girls can't dunk in a game? I'll dunk twice.
女孩子没有办法在篮球赛中扣篮? 我能扣两次。
You can't hold up an MVP trophy pregnant?
因为怀孕你没有办法拿到全场最佳?
OK, I'll show you.
好的,我会展示给你们看。
You can't have a family, a career and nurse your daughter.
你不能兼顾家庭、事业和喂女儿母乳。
I came back nine weeks post-delivery and I played in a game, and I nursed my daughter for 13 months.
在产后9个星期,我又投入了比赛,我喂女儿母乳到13个月。
You can't be on the cover of a video game.
你不能上电子游戏的封面。
You can't do a TED Talk as an athlete.
你不能以运动员的身份做TED演讲。
But this entire time, my idea of breaking barriers was being something so that the world could see that it was possible.
但是至始至终,我打破障碍的想法都是尽可能让世界看到这些都是能办到的。