Wasn’t that great, Squeaks ! What was your favorite part?
吱吱,是不是很棒! 你最喜欢的部分是什么?
Yeah, the roller coaster was great!
是的,过山车太棒了!
Oh, hey there! Squeaks and I just got back from the carnival!
哦,嘿! 我和吱吱刚从嘉年华回来!
We rode on lots of fun rides, played carnival games… it was great!
我们坐了很多有趣的游乐设施,玩了嘉年华游戏……太棒了!
But do you know my favorite part of a carnival?
但你知道嘉年华里我最喜欢的部分吗?
The food! Hot dogs, ice cream, and… cotton candy!
食物! 热狗,冰淇淋,还有…棉花糖!
I love cotton candy! It’s super fluffy, and really sweet.
我喜欢棉花糖! 超级松软,真的很甜。
And it comes in so many different colors and flavors.
它有很多不同的颜色和口味。
Like pink or blue, vanilla or bubblegum.
粉色或蓝色,香草味或泡泡糖味。
Oh, what’s your question, Squeaks?
哦,吱吱,你的问题是什么?
What’s it made out of?
棉花糖是用什么做的?
Well, even though we call it cotton candy, this stuff isn’t really made out of cotton.
虽然我们叫它棉花糖,但它其实不是用棉花做的。
Cotton candy is made out of sugar, but we call it “cotton” candy because it reminds some people of cotton.
棉花糖是用糖做的,但我们叫它“棉花”糖果,因为它让一些人想起棉花。
Do you see any similarities between the candy and the cotton plant?
你觉得棉花糖和棉花有什么相似之处吗 ?
Yeah, they both have a super fluffy texture, with lots of soft, wispy strands.
是的,它们都有超级蓬松的质地,有很多柔软的、纤细的线。
So some people call this food “cotton” candy because their texture looks and feels so similar.
所以有些人称这种食物为“棉花糖”,因为它们的质地感觉很相似。
Other people call cotton candy “sugar floss” or “fairy floss”, because of how teeny tiny the little sugar strings are.
有些人把棉花糖叫做“棉花糖”或“仙女棉花糖”,因为这些小糖丝非常小。
Yes, a little like tooth floss for a fairy!
是的,有点像仙女的牙线!
But even though it might look like cotton or little fairy strings, this candy is just sugar, which is why it tastes so sweet.
尽管它看起来像棉花或小仙女线,但这种糖果只是糖,这就是为什么它尝起来这么甜。
Hm, you’re right that sugar doesn’t always look fluffy like in cotton candy.
嗯,你说得对,糖并不总是像棉花糖那样蓬松。
Here, let’s take a look at some sugar like we’d find in our sugar jar really closely!
来,让我们仔细看看糖罐里的糖!
If we look really closely, this sugar is solid, with tiny shapes that don’t change much.
如果我们仔细观察,这种糖是固体,形状很小,变化不大。
This sugar is small and kind of round, almost like little rocks.
这种糖很小,有点圆,像小石头。
We call this special solid form of sugar crystals.
我们把这种特殊的固体形式称为糖晶体。
Well, solid crystals can’t really change their shape too much.
固体晶体的形状不会改变太多。
So to change the sugar’s shape into the fluffy wisps of cotton candy, we need to use heat to help us.
所以为了把糖变成蓬松的棉花糖,我们需要利用热量。
When sugar crystals are put into a cotton candy machine, they start as solid crystals.
当糖晶体被放进棉花糖机器时,它们开始是固体晶体。
These sugar crystals usually have food coloring and flavoring added to them, so they’ll be extra colorful and tasty.
这些糖晶体通常会添加食用色素和调味剂,所以它们会特别鲜艳和美味。
Next the cotton candy machine starts to heat up, and that heat begins to melt the sugar, changing the sugar from solid crystals into something new.
接下来棉花糖机器开始加热,热量开始融化糖,把糖从固态晶体变成新的东西。
What state do you think the sugar will melt into, Squeaks?
吱吱,你认为糖会融化成什么?
That’s right! When solid sugar melts, it melts into liquid sugar.
正确! 当固态糖融化时,它会融化成液态糖。
While the sugar is a liquid, it can change shape much more easily.
虽然糖是液体,但它更容易改变形状。
That means the machine can stretch the liquid sugar into long, thin lines.
这意味着机器可以将液态糖拉伸成细长的线条。
The cotton candy machine has a lot of teeny, tiny holes inside for the liquid sugar to go through.
棉花糖机内部有很多非常非常小的孔,可以让液态糖通过。
Little drips of liquid sugar go through as the machine spins, and when they fling into the big empty space in the middle, they cool down really quickly and change back into solid sugar.
随着机器的旋转,小滴的液态糖通过,当它们进入中间的大空隙时,它们很快就会冷却并变成固态糖。
The liquid sugar can turn back into a solid as it cools down, just like it melted when it got hot.
液态糖在冷却时可以变回固体,就像它在加热时融化一样。
But it looks a bit different now…
但现在看起来有点不同了……
Yeah, just like threads of cotton candy!
是啊,就像棉花糖一样!
When the liquid sugar cools back into a solid, it keeps the long, thin shape that allowed it to go through the cotton candy machine holes, instead of turning back into the larger, hard crystals of plain sugar.
当液态糖冷却成固体时,它会保持长而细的形状,使其能够通过棉花糖机的孔,而不是变回更大、更硬的纯糖晶体。
Those little sugar threads are rolled up into a big, fluffy puff that we recognize as cotton candy.
那些小糖线被卷成一个又大又蓬松的棉花糖。
The sugar changes a lot when it’s heated up and cooled down.
糖在加热和冷却时变化很大。
It went from a solid crystal, to liquid, to a thin, fluffy solid.
它从固态晶体变成液态,变成稀薄蓬松的固态。
Still, some things stayed the same, like its sweet flavor!
不过,有些东西还是一样的,比如它的甜味!
I have a great idea!
我有一个好主意!
Do you want to go back to the carnival tomorrow to get more cotton candy and take a closer look at how the machine works, Squeaks?
吱吱,你想明天回到狂欢节去买更多的棉花糖,并仔细看看机器是如何工作的吗?
Alright! Have you seen cotton candy being made?
好! 你见过棉花糖的制作过程吗?
What other ways do you think people can change sugar to make new sweet treats?
你认为人们还可以通过什么其他方式来改变糖来制作新的甜食?
Thanks for exploring how to make cotton candy with us today.
谢谢你今天和我们一起探索如何制作棉花糖。
Remember, if you want to keep learning new things with Squeaks and me, and all of our friends,
记住,如果你想和我、吱吱以及我们所有的朋友一起学习新东西,
hit the subscribe button, and we’ll see you next time, here at the Fort.
点击订阅按钮,我们下期见,沃斯堡见。