Hello, everyone.
大家好。
And congratulations to the Class of 2020, as well as your parents, your teachers, and everyone who helped you get to this day.
祝贺2020届毕业生,以及你们的父母、老师和所有帮助你们走到今天的人。
I never imagined I’d be giving a commencement speech with no live audience … from my backyard.
我从未想过我会在没有现场观众的情况下... 在我的后院做毕业典礼演讲。
But it’s giving me a much deeper understanding for what our YouTube Creators go through!
但这让我对我们的YouTube创作者们所经历的一切有了更深的理解。
And I certainly never thought I’d be sharing a virtual stage with a former President, a First Lady, a Lady Gaga, and a Queen Bey … not to mention BTS.
我当然也从来没有想过我会和前总统、第一夫人、Lady Gaga和Queen Bey共享一个虚拟的舞台,更不用说BTS了。
I don’t think this is the graduation ceremony any of you imagined.
我想这不是你们想象中的毕业典礼。
At a time when you should be celebrating all the knowledge you’ve gained, you may be grieving what you’ve lost: the moves you planned, the jobs you earned, and the experiences you were looking forward to.
在你们应该庆祝你们所获得的所有知识的时候,你们可能会对你们所失去的东西感到悲伤。你们计划的行动,你们赢得的工作,以及你们所期待的经历。
In bleak moments like these, it can be difficult to find hope.
在这样黯淡的时刻,可能很难找到希望。
So let me skip right to the end and tell you what happens: you will prevail.
因此,让我直接跳到最后,告诉你发生了什么:你会胜利。
That’s not really the end of the speech, so don’t get too excited.
这不是演讲的真正结束,所以不要太兴奋。
The reason I know you’ll prevail is because so many others have done it before you.
我知道你会胜利的原因是,在你之前有很多人做到了。
One hundred years ago, the class of 1920 graduated into the end of a deadly pandemic.
一百年前,1920年毕业的班级进入了一场致命的大流行病的末期。
Fifty years ago, the class of 1970 graduated in the midst of the Vietnam War.
五十年前,1970届毕业生在越南战争中毕业。
And nearly 20 years ago, the class of 2001 graduated just months before 9/11.
而近20年前,2001届毕业生毕业于911事件前几个月。
There are notable examples like this.
这样的例子不胜枚举。
They had to overcome new challenges, and in all cases they prevailed.
他们必须克服新的挑战,而在所有情况下,他们都取得了胜利。
The long arc of history tells us we have every reason to be hopeful.
长长的历史弧线告诉我们,我们完全有理由抱有希望。
So, be hopeful.
所以,要充满希望。
There’s an interesting trend I’ve noticed: It’s very conventional for every generation to underestimate the potential of the following one.
我注意到了一个有趣的趋势:每一代人都会低估下一代人的潜力,这是非常传统的。
It’s because they don’t realize that the progress of one generation becomes the foundational premise for the next.
这是因为他们没有意识到,一代人的进步成为下一代人的基础前提。
And it takes a new set of people to come along and realize all the possibilities.
而这需要一拨新的人出现,才能实现所有的可能性。