And I've got to tell you, even now, people stop me on the street to tell me about their cereal-milk ice cream moment.
我得告诉各位,直到现在,马路上还会有人把我拦下,向我讲述吃到麦片奶冰激凌的感受。
"So good." "Seemingly a little naughty."
“太好吃了”、“吃起来有点好玩”。
I mean, how did I know that was their flavor?
那我是怎么知道这种口味适合顾客的呢?
That's the flavor they eat when they're wearing pajamas, when no one's looking.
因为麦片奶是我们穿着睡衣时喝的东西,喝的时候没别人在场。
The flavor of their childhood.
这就是童年的味道。
These people will tell me about every detail of the day.
那些人会告诉我吃到麦片奶冰激凌那天的全部经历,
They will tell me about the weather, the company they kept, the way that an ordinary moment was transformed into something magical with a simple bite.
那天天气如何,那天去哪上班,那个小小的冰激凌怎样把平凡的一天变成有魔力的一天。
I built my business with the same "challenge the norm" mentality.
我创立企业所秉承的想法正是“不按套路出牌”。
Rather than measure my business's success by the profit or loss sheet, by the average order value, the other metrics that businesses use to know if they're doing well, I decided we'd measure our impact by the twinkle in people's eyes.
我不按照资产负债表衡量商业成功,也不看平均价盘,其他企业衡量成功与否的标准,我都不怎么管。
By the "Oh, I can't put that down" feeling that they had when they ate one of our desserts.
我的决定是,我们要关注顾客对我们食品的感情,以及顾客品尝我们甜品时有没有“吃一口就放不下”的感觉。
I chose to put women at the helm of my organization.
我决定让女性担任公司领导层。
Because when I looked around the hospitality industry, people running operations, folks holding CEO titles, they were all men.
因为我望遍整个服务业,那些公司高层、那些戴着 CEO 光环的人,他们全是男的。
I mean, why?
我想问,为什么?
I was raised by these fierce matriarchs who handled business, and I wanted my organization to look like that.
伴我长大的是一群活力十足的阿姨,她们也从商,我希望我的公司也是这个样子。
I want to show the world what women were capable of and what a "bakery" could be.
我想让世界知道女人的能耐,知道什么是真正的糕饼店。
Push back on that cute little box people like to put us in.
我想跳出世俗所划定的条条框框,
And in turn, the rules broke for us.
而那些“常规”最终会为我们改变,
The magic, our magic, got out.
魔法——我们的魔法——就是这样。
Word spread without us spending a dollar on marketing.
我们一分钱都没花在广告上,但口碑却已立下。
Rare in our industry, we grew our business without diluting the business.
我们公司在没有缩水的前提下获得了增长,这一点业界罕见。
I mean, we won awards no tiny East Village bakery has any business winning.
我们公司获得了其他东区小型糕饼店都没得到的奖项。
It's pretty incredible.
挺不可思议的。
Even today I get to witness that feeling, that same one that my grandmas conjured up in my childhood.
时至今日,我依然可以感受到我的阿姨们在童年时的感受。
We ship cakes all across the country, we keep our doors open from early in the morning until late at night.
我们向全国运送糕饼,我们的门店早上开张,到深夜才关门。
It's insane for a bakery to do.
这对于糕饼店而言有点疯狂。
But we do it because we're obsessed with it.
但我们做到了因为我们热衷于糕饼。
We're obsessed with what we do.
我们热衷于自己的事业。
We teach classes, we share recipes despite any concerns of copycats or intellectual property infringements, because that's what you do when you benefit from what came before you and you plan on passing it along long after you.
我们开了培训班,还分享自家食谱,我们不怕别人抄袭,也不怕知识产权纠纷。因为……如果你能从你看到的一切中有所收获,你也会跟我一样,想方设法把你所得到的传给他人。
Thank you.
谢谢。
When you know you're here to give, not take, and leave this place better than you found it.
如果你的初心不是为了索取而是为了给予,为了把一切变得比来时更好……
See, mom, you can bake for a living.
看,妈妈,做糕点是能赚钱的。
Pretty cool, if you ask me.
而且还很酷。
Now I don't have the full equation cracked, but I do know that it starts with the decision to act.
我还没有交出一份完整的答卷,但我写下的第一个答案,是行动的决心。
My mom, she could have driven that car home routinely, but she decided that that day would not be like the others.
那天,我妈妈本可以像平常一样驱车送我们回家,可她决定那一天要与众不同。
She threw out that rule book for just a second.
她把条条框框短暂地抛诸脑后。
I carry this lesson with me, that every day has within it hundreds, thousands of opportunities to create real magic.
我得出的道理是,每一天,世上都有千百个、无数个创造真正魔法的机会。
Only, they disappear. Unless you reach out and grab them.
但只有伸手去抓,这些机会才会属于你。
Thank you.
谢谢大家!